Sunday, April 7, 2024

Autumn Days♡

 


Hello, lovely lovelies♡ Autumn has truly settled in with chilly, misty mornings, and a taste of what is to come; a landscape awash with those burnished hues for which autumn is renown. Ahh....yes,  nature has began to do its thing. 

The flowers are beginning to die off but in the process seeds are forming, then dropping to the ground burrowing into the soil in readiness for the magic of the flower kingdom next spring. How far away is spring again??!! =) Talking about flowers, autumn is the time when I pilfer proteas from my friend Trish's garden. Well, it's not pilfering exactly because Trish allows me open slather with her heavy-laden protea bush. Such a lovely friend, is Trish♡

Tomatoes and pumpkins are being harvested. Both did well this year as we've had a lot of warm and sunny days, though Jack Frost is just around the corner and the crop will be no more. I can see, in my glass ball, many a delicious bowl of pumpkin soup enjoyed through the coming months. My Pete cooks a mean pumpkin soup. A bowl of Pete's pumpkin soup with fresh bread for dunking, in front of the fire......yes please!

Fires have been lit this week, for ambience and warmth. A crackling fire with flames leaping upwards, coughing smoke up into the chimney really does induce one to read, to stitch, to knit....  or to do nothing at all but to get lost in ones thoughts. I've been reading and poring over each photo in a book, 'Chateau Awakening'. The story of a former Australian politician, Tim Holding and his partner, Felicity Selkirk, who bought and are renovating a crumbling 18th-century mansion, Purnon. It's a delightful read. Renovating an 18th-century chateau.....certainly not for the faint of heart.
























There were also moments spent crocheting and hand quilting. Sweet Riley's vest is finished. I used leftover wool from my crochet cardie that I made last year. Little granny squares crocheted together which were rather quick to whip up.

The hand quilting of Flower Meadow is still happening, albeit slowly. Hand quilting is such a slow process, isn't it?? Most of the time I love  the slow and meditative nature of hand quilting but other times, not so.  Though I love all the bright and happy hexies in my Flower Meadow, and I'm loving the simplicity of the quilting, I'm finding it a bit monotonous stitching in and out, in and out; around each hexie. Sometimes my needle and thread skip around the hexies .....and other times, they don't. But I will persist; one hexie at a time, because it is a simple look I'm after. I find that when many months have gone by since I last hand quilted, and I start begin to quilt again, I feel as if I'm out of sync, with my stitches all over the place. They seem to be more wobbly and uneven than I would like. Hopefully the rhythm of the little stitches following one after the other in an orderly manner will eventuate. 




Ahh.....the dahlias. They rather adorn my floralicousness Flower Meadow rather gloriously. I'm going to miss my showy parade of dahlias when Jack Frost arrives.





The weather forecast is for grey skies and a little rain today.  They never get it wrong..... do they?? What the weather forecasters say is always gospel, isn't it?? Whatever the colour of the skies this Sunday I will throughout the day, enjoy moments of cosying down in front of the fire and practise corralling those errant, quilting stitches, and joining the other lovely slow stitchers at Kathy's place later. Though the weather may be a tad grey outside my window I must say inside my little place it is awash with floralicous delight. Hope the sunshine is beaming rays of happiness upon you Have a lovely day, lovely lovelies

Until the next time......




31 comments:

  1. It seems there is still lots of colour in your garden even as Fall arrives. Is that a chestnut tree in your yard? This is the perfect time of year for a cup of tea by the fire and a good book or some knitting or crocheting or quilting! Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is the name of the flower that is featured throughout and in the last photo - it is so pretty and unusual looking. Also amazing to know that you all are going into fall while we are heading to summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many great photos! Beautiful flowers and such pretty projects. Stay cozy and have a cuppa for me. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just beautiful Kim .. I can see autumn has well & truly arrived at your place. You would be most welcome to pilfer my proteas anytime my friend - if only you lived closer.
    I am still picking dahlias & some cosmos, a few roses - trying to eek them out for a bit longer. March was unbelievably cold here & I thought we had skipped autumn & gone straight to winter ... but April is warmer thank goodness. Rileys wee vest is just adorable. Wishing you a lovely week conjuring up your pretties. x0x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are beautiful, even when it's foggy yet sunny, the light is pretty. Beautiful flowers also, your entry into autumn seems soft and peaceful. Enjoy a cup of hot tea by the fire, crocheting and quilting!
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely autumn photographs Kim, especially the misty ones. I do love a misty autumn morning. Great little vest for Riley. Have a lovely week. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous pictures Kim ! From outside and inside !
    More and more people have proteas here in their garden ! They are beautiful as your other flowers !
    Beautiful quilt and crochet top for Riley !
    Have a shinny week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  8. I googled proteas to see a larger picture, they're beautiful! Sometimes I'm glad to sit down and quilt, sometimes I have to make myself sit and quilt but every stitch is one stitcher closer to a finish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim
    Beautiful photos. Yes I agree about the quilting, some days go better than others.
    Have a great week.
    Best wishes Kay cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kay, I think if I was quilting a more interesting pattern I'd be more enthused. But it is a simple look I am after, so persist I will. I think all us quilters 'have days like that'. =) You have a great week, too, lovely Kay. Kim Xx

      Delete
  10. Beautiful photos! Enjoy your slow stitching today. It's spring here, but Jack Frost hasn't left completely yet. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those proteas certainly make a statement! Your garden always looks inviting what ever time of year it is. That is a very cute top for Riley.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely flowers to enjoy! It is always nice to have a quilt to work on during the colder months.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Kim,

    Oh my bless you! Proteas are my favourite flower, especially the pincushion ones. We had crazy weather up in the north, snow,ice, rain and cold with wind. Old man winter wanted to stomp on spring’s parade. Finally yesterday we had a surprise, sun with 11C. Today will be warmer and that breeze is gone. Two hydrangeas came home with me on Thursday. They can be planted today, so will find two spots for them.(You inspired me to try them again, they have a tinge of blue on the flowers.) The veggie garden will be tilled and seeds and potatoes will be planted in the next couple of days. All the spring bulbs are up and we are awaiting the buds and flowers to appear. Days to enjoy the outdoors and walk barefoot on the green grass again. Opening the windows to let the house air and for the house to be filled with fresh energy. No sewing will happen for a few days and then the treasures will be placed on the background orchid kona to create the beautiful floral birthday quilt. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that Old Man Winter is such a pain, isn't he?? Time he was gone from your place! Though your garden with all the spring bulbs about to burst open sounds gorgeous! So you acquired a few hydrangeas?? Wonderful!! Fingers, and everything else crossed that they thrive and gift you with bounteous blooms. Proteas.....they are gorgeous. Especially this time of the year when all the other flowers are a bit underwhelming. So, they're your favourite flower. I love your analogy of them reminding you of a pin cushion. So very true....I hadn't thought of that. Enjoy you week, lovely Maggie, playing with all your treasures. Kona Orchid......love that pretty shade. Enjoy! Kim Xx

      Delete
  14. We finally have a sunny day, but it is still cold. Not very Springlike here. Your garden photos are still so pretty. I love that vest. Enjoy your quilting in front of the cozy fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Autumn looks beautiful where you are, Kim! Thanks for sharing all your amazing photos. I had never heard of proteas before, so had to look them up. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sweet Riley's vest is adorable, what delicate colors... Beautiful pictures too! Stunning flowers. Happy Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those colours, Maristella, are perfect with Riley's colouring. I had fun crocheting this little vest. Being small, it was finished in next to no time. Thank you for your sweet visit and lovely words. Kim Xx

      Delete
  17. Preciosas Proteas y las Dalias ❤️❤️❤️❤️ todavía tienes muchas flores alrededor.
    Me han gustado mucho las fotos de la niebla, aunque suene extraño a mí me gusta el fenómeno de la niebla, me parece muy misteriosa. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Another blog post which full of colour and delight. I love the misty photos you shared, can almost imagine pixies and elves peeking around. Riley's new vest is delightful, you must so love making her pretty things to wear. As for pumpkin soup, nothing is nicer, is it. I love making soup too, and as the weather is getting cooler, I'm telling Robin it will soon be soup time. Dont think he is besotted with soup quite as much as I am, but it does make a tasty filling lunch in the cooler months.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Kim, thanks so much for sharing your wonderful pictures! Our spring is finally here and my beautiful bulbs are coming up well after the snow storm (last I think!) last week. They got the coolness and water they needed to do more than peek out :-) Your hexies are coming along nicely but I can imagine that it would be tedious just quilting around them. Oh well, by the end of winter, if not before, you'll be cozying up with it all finished! Your vest is so cute. I'm sure that Riley will look great in it! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Dear Kim, the autumn blues have set in for you and I hope the frost comes late so that the dahlias and other beauties can delight you for a long time.
    My Dahlia tubers are now going into the ground... spring is shining here. A happy sun salutation to you from Viola.
    The little vest turned out very cute.
    Your quilt - the dream and yes: The strength is to be found in serenity.
    A hug from me and thank you for your beautiful photos. A joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viola, I fear Jack Frost is very near. Your dahlia tubers are going in the ground and my dahlias are all but finished. Jack Frost's arrival is sadly nearly here. Though of course frost on the ground in the morning means a sunny day; so all is not bad . =) Enjoy your spring sunshine and flowers, lovely Viola. Thank you for your sweet visit. Kim Xx

      Delete
  21. Hi lovely Kim! Wow! I love your autumn words! That granny vest is darling! Well done! I'd like a taste of Pete's Pumpkin Soup! Sending love your way! xoPom Pom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Autumn is my favorite season, Kim, and you've captured it so beautifully in your photos of the landscape and your pretty harvests. I especially love the foggy sun with the dried grasses and plant in the foreground. It reminds me of the Arthur Rackham illustrations in the old fairy tales. I think it is wonderful to get cozy in front of the fire with a cup of tea and your pretty stitchery. The vest is so charming and your quilt is just so lovely. Pumpkin soup sounds heavenly. Hope you have a cozy, lazy weekend. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  23. So enjoyed your beautiful pictures, the foggy ones are so mysterious and of course all your beautiful blooms just bring a smile. That is the best thing about winter is having a cozy sit with a nice quilt and staying warm underneath :) Your hexies will bring you much happiness over the Autumn months with those beautiful fabrics :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Autumn days are the best cool nights and foggy mornings with lovely sunny days (mostly). I think that’s when Tasmania is at its best. How fortunate to have indoor *flowers* surrounded by pretty fabrics and yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Her flower Meadow quilt is the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen. Are those one inch Hexie’s?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just love the views outside the window, the cows, the Grandmother's Flower Garden Quilt, the Granny squares, and big flowers that are unique to me in my part of the world. I truly enjoy your blog.

    ReplyDelete