Sunday, May 28, 2023

A Cold And Rainy Sunday


Hello lovely lovelies♡ I'm sitting in the parlour, this Sunday evening (have been most of the day, actually) where as I looked out the window throughout the day, the vista as far as the eye can see changed from rain and mist....a little sunshine.....but as quickly as the sunbeams penetrated through the thick clouds, the happy beams quickly disappeared. The weekend has been one where cosying down inside has been the thing to do. The parlour, my place of choice in which to recline and relax.

The parlour 'tis the place to be on a chilly day such as today. 'Tis a lovely space. A calm and restful room. 'Tis a space filled with treasures which have been collected over the years. Paintings, prints, rugs, sofas, chairs, lamps, quilts, tchotchkes.......gifts made for me by my girls when they were children.....books........oh yes, we cannot forget the books. There are many bookcases with many a book jostling for space. These inky treasures are everywhere, waiting for me to revisit them once more. For I am that gal who revisits favourite books over and over again. They are old friends to me. Some books are as delightful today as the very first day I picked them up. I can remember the thrill and excitement of picking up a book for the first time and embarking on a new adventure within the pages bound by a wonderful binding. Oh, how I love the binding of books! Books that I read over and over in my childhood....my teenage years....they are all old friends that have fed my imagination and soul through the years. And....talking of books I have just started to read 'The Bookbinder of Jericho' by Pip Williams. I recently read her first novel 'The Dictionary of Lost Words' and loved it. Though, I must say there were parts that were heart-wrenching to me. I cried many a tear reading this book. I wonder if  'The Bookbinder of Jericho' will pull at my heartstrings??

Pete and I have sat in the parlour most of today......and yesterday, actually.  We have both been in the car  travelling here and there for most of the week, so we both desired to relax and not move too far from the fire. The weekend was one where it was too cold to venture outside. The glow of the fire with the wonderful warmth was too enticing. So, we read, chatted, drank copious cups of tea, nibbled on home baked biscuits and cakes. Oh......and I captured a few happy snaps. =)

I have worked on the wee poppet's quilt, too. I will join Kathy's, Slow Sunday Stitching party later. The diagonal quilting is finished and I am now quilting the border. I was going to have the quilting stitches march one behind the other in straight lines around the border but I changed my mind; having decided to hand quilt around the centres of the flowers and leaves. Not every flower and leaf, but here and there. The border fabric is flourishing with stylised 'Corymbia Ficifolio' an Australian flowering gum tree, so I thought quilting stitches do-si-do-ing around and around the flowers and leaves  would look more fun than straight lines. I have sat in front of the fire all afternoon and happily hand quilted away.











This cold and rainy Sunday I have enjoyed a pleasant day sitting in the parlour with my Pete; reading and hand quilting my wee quilt. This morning I lit many, many candles adding a warm, ambient glow to the room. It is always my aspiration to add beauty  wherever I am. =) Yes, I am that gal who must have a plethora of candles flickering, illuminating the room with the softest light, with reflections dancing in the glass and mirrors. Love, love, love a room aglow with soft candlelight. Oh, I must tell you a funny story about me and my penchant for candles. When we first moved to this little corner of  Tassie a farmer drove  by one very dull Sunday afternoon and looked in and to her surprise saw our little home alight with a plethora of candles. Apparently she loved what she saw. She went home and told her husband of what she had seen at our home and insisted that they buy a lot of candles. His response?? "What on earth do we need candles for???? We have electricity!!!!" Oh dear. I'm guessing candles are kept in the farmhouse for only those times when power outages darken their world. How sad. Life is far too short not to have a million and one candles aglowing; don't you think??

If you were to peek through the window into the parlour this evening, I wonder what you would see??  Why, like my neighbour farmer all those years ago you would see a room bathed in the softest of candlelight. Of course, I would invite you in. You could sit in a comfy sofa and warm your tippy toes by the fire. Oh, and you and I would partake in some tea and cake. Why, Pete would pop his head around the corner and say g'day. Doesn't that sound delightful?? So, so love my restful, homely little parlour.





Anyway........have a lovely Sunday, lovely lovelies, when it comes aknocking at your door♡ Take time to drink in those moments of beauty; and be thankful for those little joys of light♡ Perhaps light a candle or two♡ I'm about to snuff out the candles and go to bed♡

Until the next time....................







37 comments:

  1. When our daughter was little, we sometimes had dinner by candlelight. She called them Glow in the Dark Dinners. Reading a book and/or hand quilting by the fire on a dreary day sounds perfect! Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your home looks so lovely and relaxing. I don't use candles though anymore. In our new home we have an open great room. On the top of the kitchen cupboards are a couple strings of twinkle lights (but they don't twinkle, just a soft glow). That's what we have for soft gentle light. Enjoy you tea and cake, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely pics of your home, a place I would love to visit! As always Kim you have brought a smile to my face. We might get a little rain on Wednesday but I am not counting on it. Stay warm and toasty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have indeed the perfect place to read a good book Kim ! So cozy with a good view to the outside !
    Have a pleasant Sunday and week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such beauty and inspiration. Have a blessed week ahead my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Maristella. May your week be a blessed one, too. Kim Xx

      Delete
  6. Your parlor looks like a lovely place with books and candles and comfortable places to sit! I enjoyed The Dictionary of Lost Words, too, but didn't know she had a new book. I'll have to get it! Happy stitching, Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Envidio tu luminoso salón, alegre y lleno de historias... nosotros vivimos en un piso por lo que no tenemos toda ésa maravillosa luz de la que tú disfrutas, aquí unos edificios le quitan la luz a otros, pero aún así también amo mi casa, mi espacio, mi refugio.
    Pronto acabarás el precioso edredón y podrás comenzar a soñar con otra pequeña labor. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your parlor looks very enticing with its books and candles, fire and companion! Thanks for the tour. I hope your stitching continues to please.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a delightful way to spend a day with a fire and candles aglow. Dreamy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely inviting place to sit in Kim ... how I would love to drink tea & eat cake & sit in there. You wouldn't even have to talk to me - I'd be happy to just look at all your pretties!

    ReplyDelete
  11. lovely parlor - so many pretty things. I like you re-read my favorite books just like I re-watch my favorite series/movies. Some won't - my sister says if you seen or read it once she is not interested in doing it again - I think oh no - not to reread a book over and over! There are some I have reread 4 or 5 times (or more)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your parlor looks like a wonderful place to while away a rainy day, stay cozy and warm and stitch. You have many books. I too re-read some of my favorite books. I have been reading some of those on my shelves lately just to see if I want to keep or donate some. Enjoy your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your parlour looks so cozy and inviting! A lovely place to enjoy a cuppa and stitch or read. Sarah quilting by the sea

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Kim
    Lovely photos of your beautiful home, with all your treasures.
    I to love candles they give such a lovely atmosphere.
    You have certainly made a lot of progress with your hand quilting, your stitching is so even.
    Have a great week.
    Best wishes Kay CXX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi lovely Kay, So you love candles, too. They do add a lovely atmosphere, don't they. Yes, the hand quilting is do-si-do-ing at a speedy pace. Fingers crossed I finish the wee quilt this week. Have a beautiful week. Thank you for your lovely visit. Kim Xx

      Delete
    2. Does Pete read to you while you stitch? I imagine he has a soothing voice.

      Delete
    3. Annette, no, Pete doesn't read to me as I stitch, though from time to time he will chat about what he is reading. As for his voice......yes I suppose one would say it is soothing. You know, I can't ever recall Pete shouting. =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  15. What a happy haven you have created for yourself Kim! And candles definitely add a certain ambiance and welcoming atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautiful place to sit Kim. xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your parlor looks wonderful and cozy, great for anytime of the year but especially in the cooler months when you can have the fire going. I like your idea of stitching around the flowers, brings them out even more. I love candles too especially in the evening with the sun going down, my hubby says I have too many scented candles, they bother his nose, so when he is around those are not lit but I have plenty of others :) I noticed your stitched pillows, so sweet! The cross stitching on your mantle is gorgeous too, I have my cross- stitchings all over my home :)
    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Yesterday was a wet and rather cold Sunday for us here in NC and it is the end of May! Oh Kim, I can't tell you how much I enjoyed seeing your lovely home. Thank you! Your decorating is beyond beautiful. I got up from the computer wondering how I could make my dull little log home look more like your beautiful home. Sure would take a lot of re-doing. :) Maybe I could start with my little sewing room?? Everything you touch turns into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such a lovely glimpse into your Parlour, all aglow with candlelight! Hello to Pete, he looks nice and comfy sitting there, and then, cheekily peeping around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, during the colder months, I do enjoy sitting in my chair slow stitching and reading. Your parlor certainly looks cozy and inviting! I can understand why you spend your days there!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So cosy! Looks like a lovely space to spend time relaxing. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kim - you get the best of both worlds - stitching in the comfort of your garden room in the summer, and in your parlor when the rain and cooler temperatures arrive. Each one special in its own way! And Pete at your side - what a blessing that is! Thanks for giving us a peek into your home - I can feel the warmth and serenity all the way on the other side of the world! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a lovely room, just perfect for curling up with a book. Your 'lovelies' are just nummy. I had to start a new pinterest board...with your lovely room. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So, you like my 'lovelies', too, Sandi. =) You are very kind, to pin my little room on your Pinterest board. 'Tis another frightful, winter's day here again, today. Guess which room I will while away my day in?? =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  24. Thank you for giving us a peek into your charming parlor. Who wouldn't want to while away the hours in front of a warm fire. We've gone from the unseasonable cold I wrote about last time to temperature in the mid-80's F and no rain in sight. I fear my poor zinnias, cosmos and marigolds will never get in the ground.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  25. It looks like a lovely place to cuddle up and escape the cold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lovely place, Mary. Funnily enough I am cuddled up yet again, on this Wednesday as the wintry winds rage outside the window. The fire is a-blazing, the candles are a-glowing and I am enjoying some more hand quilting of the wee quilt. It seems a bit like 'Groundhog Day'. =) Thank you for your sweet visit. Kim Xx

      Delete
  26. I wish I could stop by and share a cup of tea in your wonderful and comfy parlor, Kim. I would bring a little treat, too. I would love to peruse your bookshelves and look out your lovely window and snuggle up among your quilts while we chat about life, books, flowers and sewing. I see you are an angel lover, too. Glad that you and Pete are enjoying some quiet time together. Your quilt is lovely and reflects the pretty and unusual flowers in your post. The fire looks so cozy. Sending hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  27. You have a lovely place to spend a rainy weekend. Happy stitching and reading this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sweet parlor, Kim!!! I enjoyed seeing your many treasures and books with bookcases. We are always in need of more bookcases in our home! And that border on your grand baby quilt is the best!!! Love that flowering gum tree "flower"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stunning bookcase and I see you have some beautiful books some I also have love Tricia guilds books have a few but not the paint box must look for it.couldn’t get into pips book on lost words didn’t catch me still only 1/4 way in must have another go.I like your little bird on the windmill so pretty. We have crimson rosellas at our windows and king parrots we found a bird feeder that sticks to the window and we and they love it,mind you only fill it Sunday and Wednesday or they would be there all the time,and after what they did to my flowering geraniums not sure if they will get more feed this week.the backyard we get kookaburras,magpies,currawong,butcher birds,and mud larks.the currawong disappeared for summer and came back last week,with there song and the magpies it is beautiful,the magpies rule though they won’t let any other bird eat till they are finished.thanks for your beautiful update.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your parlour is very elegant. I can't think of anything more delightful than popping in for tea and cake someday but, for now I have very much enjoyed my virtual visit :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love the 'Peeking Pete' pictures - those made me smile. Looks like you have such a cosy little nook to enjoy stitching and reading in. I rather envy you that fire too - wouldn't mind one right now because it's cool.

    ReplyDelete