Sunday, May 5, 2024

Oh, I Do Love Me A Vintage Embroidery...Or Two♡




Hello lovely lovelies ♡ Oh.....Mr Grasshopper says a cheery hello, too. He came in out of the cold with me, hitching a ride with the flowers. I think, he thinks better to be inside than outside, with the flowers and the warmth. I must say......I concur.



So, so lovely to have you visit on this sunny, Sunday morning♡ I hope you've been able, among the to-ing and fro-ing of everyday life this week, to catch moments to enjoy a little sewing.

I have. There have been many moments this week spent in my cheery sewing room with beams of sunshine pouring in, breathing life into me, warming both body and soul; casting a happy glow and magical shadows all around. Sunshine beaming in with darting rays of sunshine on a chilly autumn morning is a thing of happiness to me.  Yes indeed, a lovely week was enjoyed  playing with EPP shapes......pentagons, hexies....and stitching them wherever they fell. Well...at least the pentagons are stitched. It's yet to be decided where the hexies will fall onto my vintage tablecloth. There are a few leftover pretties  from other EPP quilts, too, which I save for a rainy day. As I've fashioned quite a few EPP quilts over the years there are always some prepared ready to go if indeed a new EPP should be imagined.

Over the years I have collected many an embroidered pretty from vintage shops, markets, op shops......many, many places. Probably a few  too many embroideries if truth be told.  A few quilts have been fashioned from these pretties, and it never ceases to amaze me the exquisite handwork in each one. Ladies of a bygone era took immense pride in whatever it was they were embroidering. Indeed, more often than not the back is as wonderful as the front. I often think of the countless hours that went in to creating these works of meticulous textile loveliness. Each time I stitch with these embroideries I marvel again and again at the workmanship, the time and love that has gone into each one. I wonder about the story of each embroidery and the person whose hands stitched such loveliness. I suppose these days these embroidered pretties are considered frivolous and old fashioned; too much work to wash and iron,  but I for one, find comfort in appreciating these pretties that the makers in times past, lovingly stitched. 

I use my embroidered treasures every day in my home. I love a table covered with a pretty embroidered tablecloth for a meal or an impromptu tea party. For, there is many an impromptu tea party enjoyed here at my home. We often use embroidered serviettes, too. Yikes!! I hear you gasp! The stains??!! It's amazing what Napisan in water....stain remover.....will do. There are windows in my home dressed in curtains fashioned entirely from my embroidered pretties, too. Chairs, lampshades.....cushions, as well, have been recovered and tarted up using vintage embroideries.  So, so many ways to reuse and enjoy a vintage treasure from those nostalgic days gone by.

As beautiful as these linens are I have no qualms with cutting into some of these pretties. I think they look lovelier being used than being hidden away. Some would, I suppose, consider me sacrilegious for cutting into these, but really, what's the point of collecting these treasures if they are not going to be used and enjoyed; repurposed for another life. It's such a shame if these gorgeous embroideries are stored away never to see the light of day ever again. So much better to be enjoyed for a few more years.

But, to the quilt using a tablecloth as the central panel. I've stitched pentagons together in sets of eight forming a gentle curve and stitching each set between the embroideries, creating a frame, so to speak. Embroidered flowers and fabric pretties; a garland, holding hands, dancing a gentle waltz around the border. For Slow Sunday Stitching I will make some hexie flowers to add; and perhaps design a few flowers to add, scattered here and there. 











Liberty fabrics and vintage embroideries were made to play together


May you feel loved by those you cherish, on this lovely day



Sending you lovely lovelies, some flowers, wrapped in a little love, to sprinkle many a smile into your day. I'm off to play with pretty fabrics and embroideries♡

Until the next time.......



29 comments:

  1. the flowers are so pretty and all the quilts and embroideries too. Yes cut into those pieces and redesign them if you wish! I use quilts as table cloths and if I think to they get pushed aside and placemats down for eating - if not well if something spills it does - it is not the end of the earth more can and will be made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is a good idea to cut up and use the embroideries, better than being stuck in a cupboard for ever! Love the pentagons on the table cloth, so much prettiness. Lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim
    I think it is lovely to see these embroideries given a second life. They are far too pretty to not to be seen.
    Love your new table cloth, such a wonderful idea.
    Best wishes Kay cxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. Refashioning tablecloths by adding EPP is a wonderful idea, isn't it. Such fun, too. I borrowed the idea from Chris Jurd, an Australian quilter who has used tablecloths in quilts. Have a great week, lovely Kay. Thank you for stopping by. Kim Xx

      Delete
  4. I have some hand embroidered pillowcases made by my grandmother as well as a few linens that belonged to my mother and grandmother. Your tablecloth with the added hexies will make a great centre for a quilt. I like the way the hexies swag to join up the embroidered sections. Gail at the cozy quilter

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hexie border between the embroidered motifs turned out beautifully! Enjoy your slow stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exquisite bouquet of hexies! To me, you live in a fairyland, where everything is beautiful, enchanted and inspirational.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such beautiful flowers and what cute bunches of little EPP pieces. Sounds like a delightful time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how you are using that tablecloth as the center of a quilt. Those pentagons make a pretty serpentine border. How unique. I wish I had your eye for reimagining pieces like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my this is gorgeous! And liberty fabric and preloved embroideries are a definite match. There's a new liberty book being published next week and it's to die for! Alice Caroline sample quilt. I've resisted ordering it but I'm not sure how long that will last!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I love the combination of these embroideries and those pretty Liberty fabrics. Enjoy beautiful flowers indoor and everlasting ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that you cut up and use the vintage embroideries. It is a great way to give them new life!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you're adding the curved EPP sections to the vintage tablecloth, Kim! What a fun way to dress it up and make it look new all over again. Looks like you have the perfect pieces in your fabric collection to go with the embroidery that's already there. Have a wonderful time with your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Vintage embroidered linens are the best. There does seem to be a resurgence in embroidery and upcycling the vintage pieces. May you enjoy sunny days this week in your sewing room!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Es estupendo rodearte de todas ésas joyas y ése mantel.....🩵❤️💛🩷💚🧡💜💙
    BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beauty and inspiration... Have a lovely week ahead, sweet friend !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always happy to add a little beauty and inspiration to your day, lovely Maristella. Thank you for your beautiful visit and sweet words. May your week be a lovely one, too. Kim Xx

      Delete
  16. It looks gorgeous, you went with an idea and came up with a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a love for vintage embroideries as well. It sounds like you have an amazing collection, Kim and how lovely to piece them into quilts. Your EPP looks so pretty. This is going to be a fun project to follow you on. Enjoy . Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous Kim !!!! Your embroidery, hexies, tablecloth, flowers, sceneries, little room to craft....All in harmony...
    Have a lovely week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my....love your new quilt. I love how you think outside the box and the results are always amazing to see.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Kim - thank you so much for visiting my blog! In the US, we would call your "grasshopper" a praying mantis - they are fascinating creatures!

    I also love vintage embroideries, and it makes me think of those bygone days when ladies "had nothing else to do" but sit in the drawing room and embroider, and perhaps think about which dress to wear for dinner ... I think I have been watching too much Downton Abbey!

    It is refreshing to see the many ways you have put them to use!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The curve of pentagons on the vintage supper cloth looks so pretty Kim. And yes I totally agree with you ... we should certainly be able to cut into these vintage linens & fashion them into other pretty things. If I had painstakingly stitched something so precious I would definately want future generations to use it for whatever they fancied (apart from a rag maybe 😉) I cut into my vintage linens all the time & often it might be stained or torn but you can still use a corner of it. Wishing you a wonderful week playing with all that gorgeous-ness Kim xxx

    ReplyDelete
  22. Speaking of your vintage embroidery, how many strands of floss do you recommend to make them show up so good? Are larger stitches better or smaller?
    Your photos are so well planned and lovely to look at! I am in awe at your creativity as well. You are so right, they should be seen and not hidden.
    THe little short, stubby wedges in your little border, are they hand or machine pieced? I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  23. You are have a way with your picture taking, showcasing beautiful flowers and lovely quilted items :) Yes I often think of those that have made beautiful items and now we can enjoy them. I think of all the things my mom stitched that I have and wonder what will come of them all when I pass away, I try to tell my daughter about them, she knows what I have made, but she doesn't have the same feelings towards them that I do, so it is up to me to enjoy them now!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your embellished tablecloth-to-quilt is wonderful! What a novel way to add to the original creation.
    I love your flowers and seeing photos of your beautiful home.
    I hope you're having a good week.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh how beautiful your autumn bouquet is Kim, including the sweet grasshopper... it makes me think of Pinoccio :-)) it whispered something to you :-))
    I read your post like a little crime novel, it's wonderful how you give new life into the wonderful old embroidery.
    I also really enjoy looking for embroidered blankets at flea markets... oh... I haven't been to a flea market in a long time...
    Kind regards to you and thank you very much for your wonderful photos.
    A hug for you from Viola.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Viola, I don't know about the grasshopper whispering to me but he did put his boxing gloves up to fight me when I zoomed the camera in to take his photo. =) A crime novel ....mmm...this thought had caused me to smile. Me...the tablecloth slasher. I haven't been to a flea market in a while, either. I can imagine the flea markets there in Dresden would be overflowing with fabulous treasures. Hope you are enjoying your spring, lovely Viola. Thank you for stopping by. Kim Xx

      Delete
  26. Yes you really can't beat Liberty fabrics and vintage embrodery as a combination. Your work here is gorgeous, Kim. Enjoy the pretty slow stitching!

    ReplyDelete