Sunday, January 14, 2024

Into The Woods♡



Hello lovely lovelies♡ A lovely welcome to you♡ Another week of summer days has lazily drifted by. A week filled with many pleasurable pastimes. A week filled with enjoyable, slow hand stitching.

I've been stitching another quilt. A new quilt. A quilt which started with  the desire to  stitch together lots of EPP diamonds from pretty fabrics, then forming large triangles. Lots and lots and lots of diamonds dancing with vibrantly coloured and patterned, happy fabrics. 

I bought a couple of packets of EPP diamond papers last August and started stitching the diamonds with nothing in mind as to how I would use them in a quilt. I was just happy to make diamonds. Just happy to pet my fabrics. Large triangles eventuated but as more EPP diamonds were stitched together and a number of large triangles happened I began to see how I could incorporate these into a quilt.

Of course, I ventured down the rabbit hole of Pinterest and discovered the Sweet Surrender quilts others had made. Though each quilt was beautiful, with gorgeous appliqued flowers dancing between the scrappy fabric diamonds/triangles, I wasn't in the mood to commit to another flower applique quilt which wood take forever and a day.  

As I stitched the diamonds my thought was to perhaps use a patterned fabric between each triangle. An explosion of busyness....colour and pattern. After all more often than not, more is never enough, is the mantra I live by. =) I am that gal who loves an explosion of colour and pattern in a quilt. Gorgeous colour and pattern makes me happy. I auditioned numerous fabrics from my stash but each one was either not quite right or there wasn't enough fabric. So, I continued making pretty diamonds, forming triangles as I went along. Slow and meditative sewing, one could say, but at the time it helped to quell my troubled mind, to keep my mind from sliding down the slippery slope of anguish  and panic during the time my sweet Riley was struggling to recover in the NICU ward, from the meningitis she had contracted in hospital at three weeks old.....(having been born 11 weeks premi).

Then, I remembered a single bed child's doona I had purchased several years ago from a vintage shop. I loved the whimsicality of the fabric. Now, I didn't particularly start stitching these diamonds with a child-like quilt in mind, but then why not?? I might just fashion a child's quilt to live here in my home. A fun quilt with a child's theme, for me. Of course, it will be waiting for Riley when she visits, to snuggle under with her Granny as we journey into the land of make believe when reading a storybook or two. 

But, I'm jumping the gun just a wee bit. The fabric?? It's lovely. It's filled with utter delight. It's filled with wondrous whimsy. I admit it is not filled with an explosion of dancing colour and pattern, but that's what happens when you quilt, one changes one's mind all the time. =) If one is choosing from one's stash then one goes with what lays hidden within that stash. Though, I do love the colours. Watermelon pinks, raspberry reds, happy yellows, violets and mauves, lime greens, forest greens, jade greens.....all fit perfectly with my scrappy diamonds.

There are deer, porcupines, hedgehogs, wily foxes, wise old owls, squirrels, singing birds, rabbits and sweet mice resting beneath toadstools. When I look at the doona fabric stories from Aesop's Fables, The Wind in The Willows, Brambly Hedge and all those storybooks I read as a child of animal adventures and escapades in the woods come to mind. It brings to mind all those sweet creatures who live and sleep, and dance and play, in the woods. Hence the name of the quilt, Into the Woods.


Of course, flower-filled fabrics abound within the diamonds! In my mind's eye the floor of the woods would be blanketed with a carpet of floralicousness. =)







All the Sweet Surrender quilts I looked at seem to be machine pieced. As my diamonds are paper pieced I hand stitched the diamonds to the fabric triangles and then joined the rows, stitching by hand also. I found the doona fabric stretched a little, especially so as I cut the large triangles, so it was easier to piece together by hand. Besides I'm in no hurry to have this pretty finished. I'm just enjoying the slow stitching. I love that this whimsical piece of fabric has been loved by a child in a previous life. I love that it once covered a child as they drifted off to the land of dreams.
















As it is Sunday and slow Sunday stitching  is being celebrated over at Kathy's place, I'm going to enjoy a little more hand stitching of my woodsy friends. More diamonding along, me thinks. Have a lovely day, lovely ladies♡



Until the next time........





37 comments:

  1. Ohhhh qué maravillosa creación Kim, tu creatividad no tiene límites.
    Me gusta ver tus fotos con tanto color y tantas flores. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not heard of Surrender Quilts but Oh My!!! How wonderful yours looks there Kim! I especially love the little forest animals faces peeking out. Just delightful. Enjoy your week ahead dear Kim xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Little Riley and her Granny will spend hours playing I spy with this pretty quilt! The animals are so cute peeking out from the flowers! Happy stitching! Gail at the Cozy Quilter. !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh those diamonds and triangles just sing Kim! The colourful palette and the cute woodland animals are so perfectly combined. Into the whimsical woods indeed! What a delightful quilt you are creating. I look forward to seeing this one come together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect fabric for your setting tringles and the wildlife looks lovely peeping out from all those lovely flowers. It's going to be gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire your skill Kim !
    Your quilt is gorgeous ! As your post :)
    Hope Riley is doing well !
    Take care !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim
    You really are very talented. You have the most wonderful ideas. Riley will love the quilt with all the animals.
    Hope you have a great week.
    Best wishes Kay c xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know about that, lovely Kay, but thank you, for your beautiful words♡ Let's just say I have a very imaginative imagination. =) Hoping you have a great week, too. Thank you for your lovely visit to my little place♡ Kim Xx

      Delete
  8. You have such a great eye for rich color combinations. The addition of the vintage sheet as your spacer blocks worked out so well. Definitely gorgeous. Hope you enjoyed your slow stitching this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These fabrics are perfect for the I Spy/triangle quilt! You and little Riley will both enjoy this quilt. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the juxtaposition of the pieced flowery triangles and the woods-ey print...this will be such a beauty!! Nice work Hope Your new little one has recovered and is doing well hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do like how you have taken Sweet Surrender into a different direction. I have the pattern and you are making me think differently now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love how you have used that wonderful animal fabric. Especially where you have that little bunny peeking up in the corner. Your flower filled diamond triangles are so pretty. What a great quilt to snuggle under with a grandchild.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love, love, love your diamonds, and those delightful animals. This is going to be another masterpiece Kim! Love seeing your flowers, especially with the dreary weather we have been having recently, with a little much needed rain. Have a great week Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Flowers and cute animals, I love your new project! It's going to be a beloved quilt for the little one ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such beauty here. Charming fabrics! Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a happy Sunday to you, dear Maristella! Thank you for blessing my day with your sweet visit. Kim Xx

      Delete
  16. I can see why you fell in love with the fabric. A very pretty combination with the diamonds and triangles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely floral fabrics! Great idea on animal prints in place of applique as in Sweet Surrender, although I do love applique. I spy with my little eye some Tilda fabric of which I recently made a purchase. Kim, enjoy your summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love it and so will Riley it's beautiful. 😊 Have a great week and enjoy your stitching. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi beautiful Kim! Wow! That literally makes my heart feel good - looking at your color skills and eye for all things lovely! xoPom Pom

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh look at that - you have a wonderful quilt coming along, Kim! I hadn't heard of the Sweet Surrender quilt, so had to Google it and now I see what your inspiration was. I love your version with the large triangles cut from the doona. This will be the perfect quilt to snuggle little Riley under when she comes to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It looks like every piece is carefully selected and placed into your work. Lovely blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your quilt is beautiful Kim. I love the fabrics you have used. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh it is so adorable, I love that you found triangle pieces of the animals to put in between your diamond pieces, it will be the perfect piece to sit under and read a good book or two about other animals and their wonderings, beautiful way to showcase those lovely flower diamonds too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love everything about this quilt. The colors, the flowers, the woodland animals peeking about. I've been trying to figure out how you sewed the triangles to the diamond triangles, since the latter don't have a seam allowance. But no matter, it's gorgeous. You have a world of patience.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Kim, those diamonds and fabrics are so lovely :-) Have fun slow stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely gorgeous! Just the thing for doting granny to have when little Riley comes to stay.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Kim - I hope dear Riley is doing better! A lovely quilt, as always. The little creatures in their pastel coats are so adorable, especially peeking out from a triangle or a diamond! Thanks for your comment on my blog, and have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah Kim that quilt is beautiful! I hope Riley is well once again and doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Woodland animal blanket with floral greetings...it will be a favorite.
    Dear Kim, your great ideas and especially your implementation are wonderful. I always look forward to looking at your creations... really nice work.
    A joy to see. Thank you very much.
    Many greetings to you for the summer - just think, I'm skiing here :-) Hug from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, dear Viola. I'm smiling as I think of you skiing. I'm sitting here soaking up all the summer sunshine with all the flowers swaying in the gentle breeze. Enjoy your snow, lovely lady. Kim Xx

      Delete
  30. What beautiful blocks! I love all those flowers and animals. It will be perfect for many a trip to the land of make believe with little Riley :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Riley is going to love this when she gets a little older. She can have fun playing 'I Spy' while she's snuggling beneath it and finding all the wonderful animals throughout. Another inspired creation from your clever fingers!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. It's LJ here; I can't seem to comment with my Google Account. Geez, I did go to the "Learn more" but the deeper I get the more confused I am!! Oh well, I just need to 'sew'. Isn't sewing a great way to occupy yourself when there is something that's weighing on your mind? I use sewing and cleaning - they both help me. Love how you can create a lovely even though you don't have a clear path mapped out in your head. Your EPP is just perfect - wonderful if you keep it yourself or give it to Riley. :)

    ReplyDelete