Sunday, December 31, 2023

Home Again, Home Again, Jiggity Jig♡



HomeHome again, home again, jiggity jig♡ Hello, lovely lovelies Yes, after all the travel these last few months Pete and I are home again. Ahh...home  I had the very best time travelling all over the place. But now I have kicked off my well-worn travel shoes and replaced them with something a little more comfy. A very comfy pair of  stay-at-home-for-a-very-long-while, summery loafers.  It is always wonderful to arrive home and have the summery hydrangeas welcome me as I walk through the rickety front gate.

A wonderful Christmas spent with sweet Riley was a delight. Lots of cuddles. Lots of smiles. Lots of giggles. And I must say, Riley and her Granny enjoyed lots of conversations. It's amazing the wisdom of a wee, five months old's chatter.

I must show you my gift from my sweet Riley. A flower pot in which I pop freshly picked flowers in each hole. Truly, I couldn't think of a more perfect gift for this flower-loving Granny. =) 'Flowers for Granny'♡ So, so fabulous ♡ So, so treasured ♡



For Riley's first Christmas I wanted to fashion a visually stimulating floor quilt for her when she lays, rolls or sits on the floor. A bright and colourful quilt with a few fun active elements. So, I hunted and gathered some cute kiddies' fabrics and colourful felt from my stash, and began to play.

For the central panel I cut 4" squares from the fabrics and stitched these into rows of five. Around the border there are bigger rectangles with fun elements to keep a baby's attention.

There's a sweet puppy with fluffy, furry ears. Peek-a-boo......I see you! He has a drooling tongue......but watch out for those teeth!




There's a pussycat with an I've-just-slurped-up-a-bowl-of-cream, expression. Why look, she's hanging out with a pounce of cats. I must say I do fancy some of those glasses the felines are wearing. The heart sunglasses are my favourite, I think. What about you?? Chic hats, too. I must say, I'm rather partial to the little turquoise number. Oh so chic! She's a friendly cat. I wonder if she's friendly with the woolly sheep?? There's a happy elephant too, with the funnest trunk. Let's see how far you can pull it, Riley. Watch out though......don't tug it too hard.



Oh, there's the cutest car. That blue with the pink bumper bar is adorable. Oh look Riley, there are buses, pickup trucks, motor cycles, buses, vespers.........even bicycles, all passing by in the opposite direction. Oh my, is that a blue and white polka dot car travelling behind a rather posh limousine?? How fun! Why, I think I would like to park that spotty coupe in my garage. Putt, Putt, putt........the traffic travelling in the other direction is going a bit slow. A snail's pace if you were to ask me. Gosh.....the traffic is busy, isn't it?? Looks like we are the only car journeying in our direction, though. Oh, I do like being the only car in the lane. 



Look up high in the blue, blue sky, zoom.....zoom....zoom, zoom, zoom. There's a helicopter, a blimp, a hot air balloon. Even party balloons. I wonder whose party they've escaped from??  Oh look, there's a blue aeroplane with a propeller spinning around and around and around. Look Riley, it's darting like an acrobat in and out of the clouds. Weeeee.....I hope the pilot doesn't get dizzy. I wonder if it will fly up to the stars?? Wouldn't it be fun to fly up to the twinkling, shimmering stars, and the moon, in the inky darkness of the night sky?? I wonder if there's a man in the moon?? What do you think, sweet Riley??



There's a little cottage where, if you were to open the shutters and peek in, I wonder what you would see?? Let's open the shutters, shall we??


Why, there are sweet little girls just like you, Riley. The girl whose hair is tied with a pretty ribbon looks deep in thought, doesn't she?? Or, perhaps she is day dreaming?? Oh, look, there's a little girl whistling a tune to her sweet birdie. There's a sweet pussy cat, too. 'Tis a good thing little birdie is safe within the confines of her cage. Though, that sweet pussy cat looks as if she wouldn't hurt a fly. A bird...mmm...maybe..........but a fly.......no. =) There's a little girl up in the attic reading a book. Wouldn't it be fun to climb the stairs, snuggle down on a comfy, pink sofa and join the exciting adventures in faraway lands within the pages of a storybook, or two?? Oh, look there's tea to enjoy as well. I cannot wait, Riley, until you and I can delight in a tea party together. Such fun.


Lets knock on the door, Riley. Knock, knock, knock.......who's there?? Oh, how delightful. There's a girl and she looks all dressed up. She looks as if she is going out.  I wonder who she's going to gift those pretty flowers to?? Why, there's a prettily wrapped gift, too. Perhaps to her Granny' place?? What do you think, Riley?? I must say I love that little confection of a hat sitting atop her head....very pretty. One day Granny will buy you a pretty hat. But not yet, as I know you're not a fan of wearing hats. You know what, Riley, your mummy had the same misapprehensions about hat-wearing when she was your age. She didn't like them at all. =)



I wonder what's hiding in the blossom trees?? Shall we lift the flaps. I spy with my little eye........an owl, a frog, a ladybird and a butterfly hiding behind all those blossomy blossoms. Doesn't the sun have a smiley face?? I suppose he's happy it is a blue-sky, sunny day. It must be fun floating across the sky on a warm and summery day.










I machine stitched most of the elements though the trees, bushes, the girls in the windows and door of the house were machine sketched onto the quilt. These were cut from an old doona I scored from a thrift shop many, many years ago. I backed these with Vliesofix then sketched around each one several times with the machine. I knew that the pre-loved children's bed doona would come in handy one day. The backing is one I had in my stash. A lovely print with butterflies fluttering allover. There were a few elements where I used felt.....some of the animals....the flowers.  I quickly machine quilted in a meandering fashion. The quilting, I'm not totally happy with as my machine decided to not cooperate in places. So, so temperamental! Not to worry, there is so much visual interest in this sweet quilt I am quite certain my sweet Riley will forgive her Granny. =) Besides, there was a pressing deadline to reach. I had two weeks in which to design and stitch the quilt. I stitched the label on the back; machine sketching the sentiment. The next quilt for Riley?? I want to fashion a nursery rhyme bed quilt totally hand appliqued. But not yet as there are a few other quilts I need to finish. The hand quilting of Flower Meadow, for one. 



I had so much fun designing, drawing the different patterns and making this quilt. There were a few more elements I would've liked to have added but time was of the essence. I wanted to gift the quilt for Riley's first Christmas and while she was still a wee baby. A cute quilt for my sweet Riley. A quilt where oodles of observations, delightful  conversations and wild and playful imaginations are to be enjoyed. So, so many delightful stories♡ Seeing the world from the eyes of a wee child is truly one of life's greatest gifts


Goodness me, the last Sunday......the last day of this year. Tomorrow is the start of a brand new and fresh year. I wonder what this year will unfold?? I wonder what stories we will pen on those pages....in those chapters?? For me, may I be grateful and thankful each day and in those days where perhaps life is a little tough may 'God grant me the strength to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference'. I know one thing for certain whatever may come my way it will always be blooming wildly here at my little place. May you bloom wildly throughout this new year, too♡ May your new year be a blessedly wonderful one♡ Let me help you, lovely lovelies begin the new year to bloom wildly. A profusion of flowers, freshly picked this morning from my garden......from me to you♡

Until the next time.............






39 comments:

  1. My goodness, what a delightful quilt! Riley will be a bright little button taking all those details in! Your garden is also so beautiful- the sweet peas especially caught my eye. And finally, 'home again, home again, jiggetty jig" is a favourite saying of mine. I have taught it to my grandsons, and they now we are home withoug even finishing the line! Happy New Year - blessings to you and your family for a bright and healthy 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post Kim, the quilt for Riley is wonderful, so many things to look at and play with. Your summer flowers are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great quilt Kim, so much for Riley to investigate and granny to chat about! Love it. Happy New Year. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lin, for some reason my email to thank you for your sweet visit and lovely words keeps bouncing back to me. So......let me wish you a Happy New Year to you, here. May it be one filled with many joys. Kim Xx

      Delete
  4. Lovely and so cute quilt Kim ! I see you enjoyed sewing it !
    Well, she's so cute !
    I wish you, and your family, the best for 2024 !
    Big Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome home Kim, what a beautiful quilt you have made for sweet Riley, beautiful photos! she is gorgeous. Having a granddaughter will inspire you to make all sorts of little girly pretties I can't wait to see all the lovely creations you come up with for her. Having grandsons is not quite the same. Happy New Year wishing you and your lovely family all the very best for 2024. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Riley is going to have so much fun with this quilt! Blessings in 2024!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful quilt you made for Riley. She will have years of entertainment and snuggles with it. I am sure you will be making many more quilts for her in the future. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome home! What a lovely activity quilt for Riley. Happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Though I loved every moment of my travels, 'tis good to be home again. Why, I think I need a rest. =) May you and your family enjoy a Happy New year, too. Thank you for the gift of your sweet visit and lovely words. Kim Xx

      Delete
  9. Happy New Year - I love the little quilt with all the designs in it - I'm sure the little one will love it for years to come

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just adorable! Such happiness my friend! Happy New Year! Blessings to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Such happiness, lovely Maristella. Nothing like a wee grandchild to bring joy into a new year. May your new year be a happy, healthy and safe one filled with many blessings. Thank you for delighting my days each time you visited and blessed me with your lovely words throughout 2923. Kim Xx

      Delete
  11. What a magical quilt you made for Riley. Enjoy the remains of summer as you recover from all your travels. Wishing you a joy filled 2024.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a sweet quilt and Riley will get much pleasure flipping to see what is hiding. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a cool quilt! It will get lots of use, I'm sure. (and lots of love, too)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fantastic quilt for your little cutie! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't little Riley adorable enjoying Granny's quilt?! What a fun project, Kim! I love that it is three dimensional with things to do as well as to look at. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely adorable floor quilt for Riley, I love every bit of it. Happy New Year Kim to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Kim! So nice to be visiting your blog again, I wondered what happened to you. Big, BIG congratulation on becoming a grandmother, joining that special club. So pleased that Riley is doing well and enjoying her pretty quilt. So here we are, start of another year of blogging and crafting. I wish you all the best for 2024! I can only imagine there will be a lot more travelling for you this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ohhh, Riley is beautiful!!! And she is thoroughly playing with and enjoying your quilt!!! And you, Kim!!! Love those hydrangea, too, blooming their hearts out for you--so pretty! A wonderful new year to you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. As your post unfolded and I saw the delights you created for Riley's quilt I did nothing but ooh and aah. She is a lucky little girl to have you as her grandma. And....she's absolutely gorgeous!
    Pretty soon I'm sure you'll be thinking about creating dollies for your wee charmer. Ours got one for Christmas and she's getting another for her birthday in a few weeks. It's been too many years since there's been a little girl in the family and I take my grandmotherly duty seriously and will be sure to keep her well supplied with dollies to love. There just might be a new little dress in the offing too.
    Happy 2024 to you and yours Kim. Here's to a 2024 filled with many good things!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Rileys quilt is just adorable dear Kim ... as is she!!! Just look at that wee Precious studying all the animals on her quilt. What a blessing she is. Lovely to see you back in blogland again x0x

    ReplyDelete
  21. You did a fabulous job on Riley's quilt Kim! So nice to see the sweet photo of your lovely granddaughter on her quilt. Welcome home again, and I'm looking forward to reading more stories of your quilting and garden endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Riley is adorable and that quilt is a masterpiece! Aw! I knew you would love being a granny! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. WHAT A QUILT!!! Even I want to play with it. I loved everything about it though the airplane and the elephant were outstanding. Your 'eye' is something to behold - Riley doesn't know it yet, but she has an awesome Granny. That vase from Riley is just the cutest and so appro for you! Enjoy your summer...it looks glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Kim - it is so nice to see you posting again! (I have checked in a couple of times, and now I know what you have been up to!) Congratulations on Riley - how adorable. Nothing quite as precious as little baby girls! And what a playful quilt you made, and on a tight timeline! It has been quite a while since we had a baby, but I remember how much our little ones enjoyed "activity" books and the like - anything that could be opened, or zippered up and down, etc. - was a huge hit! Praying that 2024 is a special one for you and yours. Thanks for visiting my blog and your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  25. It is always good to come home :). I bet you miss Riley already, that was a sweet gift you got from her. The quilt is even better, you did a fantastic job on all those pieces, such great fabrics too for the background, I bet she will cherish as she gets older too!
    Wishing you all the best in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh your precious darling Riley! I can't look long enough at the quilt! Wow! And, I am imagining the time when this sweet girl will enroll in your sewing school and learn the art of making her own beautiful quilts. What joy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary, it will be a joy to teach my "precious darling" Riley the art of sewing and making her own quilts. That truly will be the best fun. But for now I will just keep on fashioning pretties for her. Thank you for your beautiful visit. Kim Xx

      Delete
  27. Such happy photos! Wishing you and yours all the best for this new year, dear Kim, hope it's a good one!
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a marvellous quilt you created for your sweet Riley! I love the 3D effects, like the elephant nose! May all your 2024 adventures be as fun as this one was! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Dear Sarah, this wonderful picture book turned into a baby blanket is fantastic... and the speed at which you made it is really only possible as a loving grandma... I like so many things. For example, the cats with the sunglasses and the hats... last week I bought a nice felt hat for a long time (we have winter here)... in turquoise and elegant :-)) this sweet puppy with floppy ears ... wonderful... and... and... and... I enjoyed every detail.
    But the best thing of all is of course how your sweet Riley discovers everything.
    Kind regards to you. A warm grandmother's greeting for you from Viola
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh...I love the sound of that turquoise felt hat of yours, Viola. Perfect for those winter days of yours. Thank you so much for your sweet words re sweet Riley's quilt. I can't wait to fashion her another one. It's such fun sewing for babies and wee children. Kim Xx

      Delete
  30. Congrats on becoming a Granny. Riley is adorable and the quilt you have made is wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Riley is such a cutie. She will have lots of fun with her play quilt. Such a wonderful idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Riley is such a little cutie. She will have lots of fun with her play quilt. Such a wonderful idea. xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hi Kim, it's always great to be home after travelling, no matter how lovely the trip! Welcome back. Your sweet floor blanket for Riley is gorgeous...almost as cute as she is :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Congratulations, Kim!
    Your granddaughter, Riley, is beautiful!
    Wonderful work on the play quilt.

    ReplyDelete