Sunday, April 2, 2023

Just Hexie-ing Along♡


Hello lovely lovelies♡  'Tis Sunday again♡ It is well. It is well with my little world, this sunny, Sunday afternoon. Well, at least it is well with my Flower Meadow quilt. 

I am hexie-ing along again. Just moseying along  preparing  what seems a gazillion little hexies for my Flower Meadow. I've decided that I'm okay with a little asymmetry (well....I think I am) re the sides of my quilt. I'm okay with this quilt being a little skew-whiff. I've thrown my arms up into the air in surrender and decided to listen to my little pretty. I  acquiesced to her small but incessant voice and went with her plea of keeping it simple. All thoughts of grandiose borders have been thrown out the window and my meadow of bright and happy hexie flowers will now be encircled by oodles of green hexies, do-si-doing around and around. I must admit, 'she' was correct. Simple can sometimes be the very best thing. But then, quilts always know what's best, don't they?? One can have a design in one's mind but ultimately the final decision rests with the quilt. Who am I to disagree?? 

The fabric I chose for the border hexies is a soft green batik with just a hint of smudges of tiny watercolour flowers, giving a sense of grass with tiny flowers peeking through. This fabric is leftover from my quilt,  A Stroll Through Pete's Garden. There were a couple of metres left over, just enough (I think.....I hope.....I pray on bended knees) for Flower Meadow. I must say it is the perfect fabric. I rather love the soft, muted look as it causes the flowers to bloom even brighter, if that is at all possible. =) The hexies seem to take the eyes away from this quilt's blight. If you look at some of the photos, especially the collage photo, you can see that in every second horizontal row the flower on the left side of the quilt is half a hexie in to the right. Oh well, such is life.

Shall we have a lookity look at my Flower Meadow's progress??










I know 'tis a bit strange to begin the border before the main body of the quilt is finished but I wanted to see if my thoughts of the little green hexies dancing around the hexie flowers was eye pleasing. I think it is. My eyes don't immediately go to the little blight but they just see the beauty of the flowers and the green border. Also, as I may not have enough of the green border fabric, as I stitch each new row of hexie flowers I will also add the border hexies to each side. The size of this quilt will be determined by the number of green hexies I have. This quilt could very well turn out to be a most interesting size. I feel like a small child counting each hexie. Unlike my inability to comprehend the tessellation pattern of hexies, I am quite adept at counting by ones, twos, threes etc etc. I grasped the concept of counting in kindergarten. After that everything that is maths related is a complete blur! =) 

I have enjoyed a lovely Sunday afternoon sitting in my little sun trap that is The Fernery. Now that cooler days have taken up residence The Fernery is the place to be; to sit, to read.....to stitch. Later this evening I will join the happy band of slow stitchers at Kathy's place and be inspired by all that I see. I hope when Sunday comes aknocking at your door it is a lovely one sprinkled with a little beauty♡

Until the next time............




31 comments:

  1. Hi Dearest one,
    I'm so glad to read a post of yours with all your beautiful images!
    I take the chance to wish you a blessed Eastertide
    XO Daniela of ~ My little old world ~ (Dany)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The green border is delightful and just perfect with your flower meadow. Not sure what your worry is - all looks good to me. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim !
    Your Flower Meadow is beautiful ! And your quilt, gorgeous !
    Love your little bunnies (little statue and bag ).
    Have a shinny Sunday and week !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. The green is the perfect border fabric, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt in progress! The green hexie border frames it beautifully! I don’t see any issues at all with your quilt…so lovely. Good idea to add the border as you go. Gail at the Cozy Quilter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kim ,wow I am loving this quilt,you are very clever,well done,I also love your bunny very cute 🌹🤍🌹

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kim, I can tell you that I would never notice the "blight" that you see. This quilt is beautiful and I adore the fabric you chose to encircle it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So glad you found a wonderful way to leave in your design element and not have to redo a bunch of stitching. That green is a perfect border. Enjoy your slow stitching this week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those green hexies make this quilt dance, absolutely gorgeous with all the floral touches. It is gorgeous and fingers crossed, asking for the most benevolent outcome that you have enough green fabric for the hexies. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Maggie. Fingers and everything else crossed that I have enough green fabric. =) I am a wee bit sad that this is the end of this pretty fabric but then, I am trying to use up my fabric stash. You have a great week, too. Kim Xx

      Delete
  10. Oh, Love what you are doing and that green border gives it a space to rest your eye! You could also add a border of individual hexies to give it a muted effect like I did here: https://appliqueandpatches.blogspot.com/2019/09/an-old-fashion-garden.html .... just a thought/option.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have learned to embrace imperfection because I am completely incapable of it. Your quilt is beautiful and no one but you will notice it is askew!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Quilts and dolls - both have minds of their own and as someone (I can't remember who) once said "Be quiet, listen, and get out of your own way" . I often think of those words when I'm stuck on something. Now, having said that, I have looked and looked at the photos and for the life of me I can't see the area(s) that you were concerned about. Whatever they were, obviously the green addition is smoothing it away.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That pretty, soft green is perfect for the hexie flower design, Kim! My fingers are crossed for you that you have enough. I enjoyed all those close-ups of your pretty floral prints. This is going to be a beautiful quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That pale green fabric is just right for your border--so pretty--nice work on a beautiful quilt ;)))
    hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've come up with the perfect solution, so you can stop pointing out what you call "a little blight" and just accept the accolades thrown your way for creating such a sumptious feast of floral delights. We also have sunshine toady, but only 38 degrees F. Yesterday was a beautiful 69 degrees before the storm clouds moved in and the heavens opened. Spring is certainly taking it's time this year.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. Its looking stunning Kim & I think that soft green is absolutely perfect for the borders. I am so pleased you found a way to complete this gorgeous hexie quilt as it is so beautiful!! 💕

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh, it is beautiful; Flower Meadow is just perfect - or as close as we can get to God. :) I love the flowers (all of them), the green border is perfect, your colors (They do inspire - don't you agree?). Since your not sure of the number of green hexies you can make, that is a super idea to try the border out first. Enjoy your time in the Fernery with whatever trips your fancy. I know you always enjoy the sunshine there. Have sweet dreams this week, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Kim
    Think you hexagon quilt is stunning. Love the green Hexies , fingers crossed you have enough fabric.
    Love the rabbit.
    Have a great week.
    Best wishes Kay c XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kay, the rabbit is sweet, isn't it? Thank you for your sweet words. Hope you have a lovely week. Kim Xx

      Delete
  19. Oh I would say the quilt was right, I do love the green around it, and you could always go up the quilt with a slowly darker green as you make your way to the other side. I think that is all creating, my cards half the time don't come out the way I had planned for them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the green fabric you are using, it's all going together so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I like the border. No one will ever guess it wasn't your original plan.

    I am a firm believer of listening to the quilt! (although I've been known to argue with it, too. ;-) )

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Kim the hexies are beautiful and aren't they supposed to be a bit out of wack?? Love the green border, fingers crossed you have enough fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awwww...Awesome quilt! A favorite! That green fabric is perfect. Blessings dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Maristella. The green fabric does dance around the hexie flowers, doesn't it? Kim Xx

      Delete
  24. Beautiful as always, Kim! Your garden is coming along so beautifully, I love it!
    I think the hexie border will be nice too, different.
    Enjoy your Easter weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. A dream with you in the sewing garden house... what colors :-) and the green is perfect... just now...
    cuddling rabbits... Enjoying coffee, tea and cake.
    I wish you a happy easter, lovely Kim.
    Masse greetings from Viola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cuddling rabbits.... enjoying tea and cake sounds rather nice, Viola. May your Easter be a blessed one. Kim Xx

      Delete