Sunday, October 10, 2021

A Baby Quilt Finish

Hello lovely lovelies♡ I find myself here again at my happy little place, chatting to you♡ Why, I have a finished quilt to show and tell. Yes indeedy, for the past couple of weeks I have been stitching little hexies together, from dawn to dusk,  until all of a sudden, before my very eyes  a baby quilt has been fashioned.

This baby quilt which I chatted about here, is oozing with sweet hexies of Australian flora and fauna. There is a menagerie of sweet animals playing amongst Australian native flowers. Cuddly koalas, bashful bandicoots, swimming platypuses, hopping kangaroos, waddling wombats and adorable echidnas....oh....the echidnas waddle about, too; all  playing hide and seek among the gum trees and pretty native flowers. Flowers such as lilly pillies, wattles, bottle brushes, Tasmanian blue gum flowers, waratahs etc etc. As for the birds high up in the eucalyptus trees; there are magpies, willy wagtails,  cockatoos and kookaburras, all singing a merry song.  I suppose this quilt is an I-spy-with-my-little-eye quilt, where mother and child will enjoy many a delightful time looking at each character-filled hexie imagining stories of adventures in the Australian bush.

The quilt-as-you-go hexies in Jocelyn Proust abstract designs do look rather fun together. For the back of the quilt I have covered every seam with bias strips to cover the stitching. 'Tis much more work; takes double the time in fact, but all my dirty little sins of sometimes messy stitching are covered. I rather love the pink and white spotty strips against the green and white dots. Besides, because the baby is a sweet girl, and as the quilt is rather neutral, I wanted to add a little pink somewhere, and the back is the perfect place to sneak in a dash of pink onto the quilt. Two quilts in one really. Perfect♡ The quilt measures 100cm by 120cm; perfect for a small child to snuggle under, and sleepily nod off into the land of counterpane, where fun and adventurous goings-on with sweet Australian animals, await.















I hope the teacher, whose baby the quilt is for, likes this sweet little quilt. I think she might.

Another hexie quilt to sit in the gallery of finished quilts. This is my twelfth hexie quilt I have fashioned.....just a slight addiction. =) I am in love with hexie quilts. It is always a joyous feeling when the last stitch of a quilt is stitched. This was a quick quilt to fashion, only taking about five weeks to make, which isn't too bad really; as with the exception of machine stitching around each hexie, the quilt was hand stitched. Though, in saying this, no other stitching of other pretties got a look-in during this time. This baby quilt has had my undivided attention. So, so many tiny hand stitches. Just as well I adore hand stitching. =)



May you, this week, have many moments which make your heart dance and your soul sing♡ As for me, I am going to enjoy many a relaxing moment to sit and stitch, as there is always something to do with needle and thread. I just want to enjoy some hand stitching, whilst drinking in the beauty of spring unfolding new miracles each day. As, the unfurling of each new, exquisite flower, I think, is a miracle♡ Spring equals beauty and blessedness♡ Your visits too, bless my day♡ Thank you♡ Your visits are always a delight♡ Later this evening I will see what pretties the ladies over at Kathy's place are working on.  Take care, lovely lovelies♡



Until the next time............





Also linking up to Judy's Design Wall Monday and Beth's Monday Making


49 comments:

  1. This is so cute! I love it! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really stunning quilt. I love all those I-Spy prints and I'm sure it will be fun as well as cuddly. I can't imagine going to all that trouble for the back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just Gorgeous Kim. I love all the Aussie fabrics featuring your unique wildlife and beautiful trees and flowers. A wonderful Eye Spy quilt indeed for Mum and baby to enjoy together. The addition of the pink bias strips on the back takes this beauty to another level.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This little baby quilt is a beauty ! The parents will love it !
    So much work and patience...for a personalized and unique quilt ! Bravo !
    The pictures are so beautiful with the smell of Spring in the air ;)
    Have a lovely week, Kim !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what a wonderful baby quilt! It will bring hours of "I spy" enjoyment. I can't believe you went to all the trouble to cover the seams on the back, but that pretty fabric is a wonderful addition to the quilt. Enjoy your Springtime flowers. I love seeing your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure she will love it. It is a beauty.
    This is really a 2 quilts in 1.
    Have a lovely stitching week, Kim.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful quilt and I love the added pink on the back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I had such a fairy blanket in my childhood :) What a neat piece of quilting art! And it adds a lot to the spring landscape of your pretty garden :) Are those forget-me-not I spy?
    Happy spring and happy quilting, dear Kim!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't it be lovely to snuggle under a quilt such as this, when we were a child, and in our dreams visit places of fun adventures in faraway lands. Yes, they are forget-me-nots you spy. They grow like weeds here. They are everywhere; a vision in sweet blue♡ Have a beautiful, week, lovely Alina♡

      Delete
  9. Such a pretty baby quilt, front and back! The baby and her Mom will love looking at all of the birds, animals and plants, playing I Spy, or perhaps a matching game. Congratulations on a wonderful finish!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Sweet Kim, The baby quilt is beautiful. Love the blue dot edges which make the different fabrics shine. Lots of interest - yet not too busy. I Spy fabrics are so enjoyable for baby and parent. Spring background photos are refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a pretty quilt! Thank you for your encouraging words. New miracles everyday can happen anytime!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's amazing, so much work in so short a time. She's going to love it how could she not. Have a peaceful Sunday. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. My heart dances when I come for a visit with you, no question. Your latest piece of art is absolutely stunning and I know it will be loved. It would be such fun to see her face when she first sees it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is such a sweet quilt, Kim! I love the soft green combined with the fun prints. I love how you finished the edges, too. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a precious quilt for baby and Mum to spend hours exploring the animals and plants. And how delightful for us to see the photos of your emerging spring garden. I hope your away time was restful and you are now refreshed to resume your quilt and garden endeavors.
    We are enjoying an unseasonable warm spell and I'll not complain about that at all.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is such a cute I spy quilt and I too love hexies. I think mum and baby will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your baby hexie is adorable, as are the fabrics! Love seeing all your springtime pictures, and happy to have you back. Hope you have a great week Kim!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is a beautiful quilt and a lovely way for the baby to come to learn about all those flowers, birds and animals. Happy Spring to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Holaaaaaa, ya tenía ganas de que volvieras para leer tus bonitos pensamientos, ver tus fotos floreadas y deleitarme contemplando la colcha de bebé terminada.
    Has trabajado muchísimo con las tiras al biés, pero queda preciosa. BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a lovely baby quilt...I really like your idea to cover the back stitching...it does add a lot. A lucky baby for sure...
    Nice work hugs, Julierose

    ReplyDelete
  21. squeee!!! so pretty! Lucky mama to get such a quilt and baby will love it for life. I made a small QAYG hexi and hand stitching them together was no fun for me. I love the added polka dot fabric in pink,worth it!
    LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your hexie quilts. And you're nuts to do the extra bias on the back - but it looks so awesome! :-)

    Irises? Spring is springing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Adorable artwork! Best wishes,dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope you enjoyed your vacation/time off. Spending it with Pete is so divine. Oh, spring has sprung out all over... I know you love the season and all that gorgeousness is jumping there in Tassie. Such a lovely hexie quilt - a treasure, for sure. I do think the back is as wonderful as the front. Even though you love hand-stitching, I know all that work is particularly time-consuming. Yes, I do hope that my week is filled with moments that make my heart dance and my soul sing♡. Have a great week, too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. A delightful quilt, love all the "I spy" birds and your spring colour palette. And I really enjoyed scrolling through your pics, all very very much depict Spring 'unfolding' đź‘Ť.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Kim
    Love the baby quilt. It must have taken forever to sew all the binding, but makes the quilt so pretty both sides.
    Hope you have a great week.
    Best wishes Kay c xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello lovely Kay♡ The binding did take a long time, but, I think it finishes off the quilt beautifully. All those nasty, sometimes untidy seams are covered. =) You have a beautiful week, too, lovely Kay. Spring is springing rather wonderfully here. =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  27. That is one beautiful baby quilt and I love the binding on the back, very clever idea. Your garden is a beautiful place for a photo shoot too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Such a stunning finish Kim! Gorgeous fabrics highlighted by the borders and the little strips of pink on the back work really well. And all so stunningly photographed in your spring garden. Thank you. xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a happy hexie quilt you’ve completed for the baby girl, Kim! The fabric is so cheery and I’m sure the mom will live cuddling her baby in the lovely warmth of the quilt đź’•

    ReplyDelete
  30. My dear Kim, your baby quilt will be finished in no time!!! It has become really beautiful, a beauty.
    I am very curious what you will do next, and enjoy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loes, I will probably continue working on my 'Hydrangea Cobblestones', but then I just might begin a new pretty =) I must say Spring is springing beautifully here, and it is, as always, sublime! Oh, how I adore Spring♡ Have a beautiful week, my beautiful friend♡ Kim Xx

      Delete
  31. What a beautiful baby quilt! I love all of the I-spy pieces and the colors are gorgeous. Adding the bias strips to the back was an act of love!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a gorgeous quilt! Enjoy the spring...as we're heading into winter. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh this is so lovely!!! All the happy flowers are framed - and oh my!! it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  34. You are such a great photographer! All your quilts look like they should be a spread in a magazine. Lovely! I really like the touch of pink on the back side, it was a great choice. Hugs, Judy

    ReplyDelete
  35. It is so sweet and beautiful, Kim! The little one will certainly have sweet dreams wrapped in this lovely quilt.

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  36. This is my favourite thing of yours ever (except maybe for your funky boots), just because there is nothing I like better than a good bird fabric and this quilt is jam-packed with them. It is glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  37. i have waited till today to read this post because i always save your posts for last ... beautiful and lovely and uplifting - thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh how wonderful that you were able to finish it, Gorgeous as always, I love your touch of pink on the back, that was a great idea and I love how it looks great from either side. It will be interesting to know which block is her favorite as she grows up :) I am sure it will get much love!
    I so enjoyed all the beautiful blooming trees too, all things new again is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  39. What a wonderful gift - such pretty fabrics and colors - I'm sure it will be treasured and loved very much. Such a delight to see it displayed among all the flowers. Forget-me-nots are one of my favorites. So nice to be able to see springtime just as we slide into autumn and know that summer will be waiting to enjoy while we are in the grip of winter. Happy spring and happy stitching, my friend. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you so much, Svetlana. Australian animals are rather exotic, I suppose....and cute. My favourites are the koalas and echidnas. The quilt is cute, isn't it? Love that the theme is all things Australia all over. Kim Xx

    ReplyDelete
  41. Wow, wow, wow!! So beautiful! All those lovely fabrics together, and your patience with bias strips! Lots of pictures to discover and learn from, so clever of you to use wildlife pictures fabrics.
    This is a quilt to be treasured :-)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  42. What a delight this quilt is--a child's treasure hunt! It's beautiful and I know it will be loved.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Your quilt is beautiful Kim. I love the effect on the back with the pink spotty fabric. How could the teacher not love this quilt. I'm sure her baby will too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  44. The quilt looks so beautiful. I am sure the teacher will absolutely love it. Definitely a sweet dreams quilt.
    Your gardens are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh it’s been such a while since I visited! What a beautiful quilt. I am certain that it will be loved and treasured. I loved reading your post - I was transported to your home and garden through your words that are just as beautiful as your quilt! x

    ReplyDelete