Sunday, June 5, 2022

Tilda, Glorious, Tilda♡


Hello, lovely lovelies♡ Well....June 1st finally arrived! And, although here in Australia the calendar refers to this day as the first day of winter, my least favourite of the seasons, here in my little place this fact surprisingly did not cause me any alarm. No discontentment, no displeasure; indeed no regret here.  For it was the day that Tilda's new glorious collection 'Chic Escape was to be released to the world!

My good husband and my good self jumped out of bed with glee. For it was the day that he and me were to rock up at my favourite patchwork shop, before it opened, to be first in line, so that I might empty my purse and purchase metre upon metre of the glorious fabrics.  Well, I do tell a fib....just a little one, for my Pete wasn't quite as enthused to greet the wintry-like morn quite like me.  But, he did nevertheless. He even cooked breakfast for me before we embarked on our little 'adventure'. He is a good man, is My Pete. I did query a week ago that perhaps we could camp on the doorstep of the shop overnight, but to my astonishment he said, a monosyllabic, NO. Did I say last week  he and me have been strolling along the path of matrimonial bliss for 44 years? Oh dear...I wonder if we will add another year to that number?? 

Alas, we should've stayed in bed to enjoy a leisurely cup of tea because enroute to the amassing of these sumptuous fabrics, Sarah,  the lovely proprietor of my favourite patchwork shop, rang to say the fabrics were delayed and she didn't know when they would arrive. So, we diverted from our chosen course, and continued to drive down a picturesque, winding road in search for some tea and cake. There are always beautiful views to drink in, especially on the road less travelled. All was not lost. =)

So...3rd June rolled around and with word the night before that the fabrics had arrived; and much like Groundhog Day, the two of us  set off once more the very next morning to acquire some lovely Tilda pretties. As I opened the door  all the lovely bolts of Chic Escape were before me just waiting for me to choose. Good thing we arrived early though, as the lovely Sarah was busily cutting fabrics to fill online orders.  After having chosen a quite a few fabrics,  I did wonder if the EFTPOS machine would explode as the final amount spent was keyed in. Thank goodness....all was well. You American lovelies are very spoilt with the prices you pay for your patchwork fabrics.  Here in Australia we seem to pay through the nose; two and a half times what you pay. But, that's okay, as I really wouldn't want to live anywhere else but Australia these days, for so many reasons.  Also, I did wonder if Pete would buckle under the weight of all the fabrics, as we made our way to the car but again, no; all was good. So, he and me journeyed home with me petting all my lovely pretties and at intervals me exclaiming "wow....will you look at this peacock....look at this vase.....just have a gander at the roses....!". Pete just smiled and kept driving with both eyes on the road ahead. For I know he didn't want us to meet our untimely demise, just yet......at least not till I had a chance to play with my Tilda pretties.=)

Anyway, let us chat about the gorgeous fabrics that is  Tilda's Chic Escape. They are all so very chic and give the feeling of escaping into another era where grand old houses which have stood tall and strong for hundreds of years, burgeoning with antiques, chandeliers; dimpled and at places threadbare, well-used chintz-covered sofas with coordinated fabrics (chintz again) draping from 20ft high leadlight windows, puddling on the floor. The colour palette is bolder and deeper, and the patterns bigger than the Tilda fabrics we are used to. As I pet and look at these fabrics more closely, I am struck by what a clever designer Tone Finnanger is, both in pattern, obviously; but also the unexpected colour and tonal choices. Along with Chic Escape there are ditsy little flowers, Daisyfield, to coordinate with Chic Escape. They are all truly gorgeous, imparting a feeling of joie de vivre. 

There are vases with chinoserie-like patterns spilling over with flowers; peacocks strutting their stuff, with tail plumage trailing behind them as they preen amongst a background of climbing roses, and heady arrangements of blousy roses mingling with other flowers. All the patterns luxuriant, full-bodied and screaming sumptuousness. Sumptuousness, I hear you ask?? Is there such a word?? Well, there is now. =)


Now to imagine what I will fashion from these lovely fabrics?? Perhaps a few 'just because' quilts as gifts for friends. Perhaps a quilt for me.  Some to find a home, perhaps, on my quilted coat, which is at the moment just a fanciful imagination?? Oh, I most certainly can see a proud and beautiful peacock strutting somewhere on my quilted coat. I can definitely see broderie perse pretties, too. So, so many possibilities.

Oh, and about my previous words that the arrival of Old Man Winter did not cause me any discontent, nor indeed displeasure; forget it!   I was obviously not quite right in the head. The rush of blood to my cerebral region was evidently caused from excitement of the procurement of these splendiferous fabrics. Just a tad hasty, perhaps, in my nonchalance of the frigid season. Because today, Old Man Winter has blasted in, swirling and howling all around the place in a furious and frenzied manner. Huffing and puffing, and trying to blow my house down. But, thus far my little  abode is still standing upon the foundations. Heavy rain, and at times gale-force winds was my lot this Sunday. I'm surmising the  frigid fellow is settling in with the determination to stay for a long while. Not to worry. With the fires belching out fevered  heat and me playing with my Tilda pretties, perhaps 'The Big Freeze' will be tolerable.

As it is Sunday, I really should think about a little slow stitching, after all I suppose that is why I'm here. =) Truth be told my 'little' photo shoot has taken the good part of my day. I capture a photo or two in one setting, then another; with my muddly brain exploding with ideas. Now I really should pack everything away. What I need is an assistant to tidy up as I go. =) This post has really been to a showcase Tilda's Chic Escape fabrics. Later this evening I think I might begin to prepare a few hexies together from my gorgeous Tilda fabrics for the patchwork coat. Not slow stitching exactly but the beginnings of some. There surely must be a spot or two for some hexies on the coat. About this coat?? It may well turn out as one of those better-in-theory-than-in-practice kinda projects, but it will be fun playing, nevertheless. Always the eternal dreamer.  =)

Thank you for stopping by♡ Hoping you enjoy a pleasant week, lovely lovelies♡ Enjoy your Sunday. Hoping yours is a sunnier one than mine.  'Tis a good thing I took much too many happy snaps of my Tilda pretties, outside, yesterday, when there were blue skies. =)

Until the next time.........




45 comments:

  1. O my goodness I was right there with you when you and your Pete were on the way to purchase some of that sumptuous fabric, how awful to get that phone call to say it was delayed but thank goodness you didn't have to wait long a mere couple of days yes I could just live with that haha. It is gorgeous but I do wish I could see it spread out in front of me, how can you pick a favourite it all looks lovely. You can't tease us with visions of a coat and then not produce one dear Kim, I have every confidence in you. Have a lovely Sunday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful fabrics, colors and patterns !!! It's like Christmas to you ;)
    Time to imagine, choose, create... You are good at !
    Have a lovely week thinking of what you are going to do first !
    Gorgeous pictures !
    Hug
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim
    Such beautiful beautiful fabrics, can’t wait to see what you will make with them. What a hero Pete is to go to the fabric shop twice.
    Have a wonderful week.
    Best wishes Kay c XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pete, is my hero, Kay. =) 'Twas a lucky day I hitched my wagon to Pete's. You have a lovely week, too, lovely Kay. Kim Xx

      Delete
  4. My, my you purchased a whole bunch of pretty fabrics. Pete is wonderful to go with you on your fabric adventure. Now you can play with those fabrics and let the winter weather swirl outside while you dream of Spring flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Kim! Did you leave any fabric at the store??? I can’t wait to see your quilted coat and all of the quilts you will make with your new fabrics. You won’t even notice Old Man Winter when you are playing with these pretties!
    Like Pete, my husband often goes with me to quilting stores. He has driven well off the fastest route from here to there to get to to a shop he has found online that he thinks I might like to visit. I think both of us have found keepers in Pete and Don.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful fabrics! Winter is the perfect time for sewing, happy stitching! I'm looking forward to seeing the new jacket in several months!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooo I can feel your excitement here in the UK! I LOVE tilda and this new range is gorgeous. Quilt fabric is expensive in the uk too, but I still need more. I never seem to have the right piece (funny that!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Goodness, did you buy the whole shop? It looks so beautiful, I have to check it out, too, don't you just love those trips to quilting shops! Midsomer Quilting, which the nearest to me, they have coffee and tea (free) on the go all the time and Chris, one of the owners (a man) is on hand most of the time to chat to everyone, specially husbands.
    My husband now takes a book with him (although I can drive myself, of course), but this is a one shop he quite enjoys accompany me to, to see Chris. Everybody is happy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim… such sumptuous fabrics in this Tilda line that you chose! Glad you snagged them finally with the help of knowing they were finally in stock thanks to the shop owner… what lovelies you will creat with all these fabrics… I’m sure your mind is going crazy with ideas as you avoid wintertime there in your sun room!

    ReplyDelete
  10. beautiful fabrics - sorry you have to pay high prices there and here we feel that prices have gone up way too high the last 5 years or so the prices keep going up little by little that we are paying more and more each year but still lower than what you pay.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! So much gorgeous fabric! I can't wait to see what you create with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh - all that pretty fabric!! I enjoy your enthusiasm so much - it leaps off the page. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hate to admit that I have never owned any Tilda fabrics, but I can definitely see why you love them, Kim! They are so your style. Isn't it wonderful to have a husband who goes right along with our fabric habits?! I know you'll enjoy many wintry hours playing with your new Tilda stash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My good friend recently introduced me to Tilda fabrics. There is one quilt store in town that stocks them. I agree they are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A beautiful photo shoot! My favourite photo is the one with the sun rays captured shining down on the Tilda Treasures! I giggled at the saying "pay through the nose" !

    ReplyDelete
  16. How exciting that fabrics arrived and the anticipation and adventure of purchasing them. Loved reading and seeing your beautiful post today! Hope you keep warm and the storm settles down. We even had a little rain today. My plants are getting a nice soak! Happy stitching. Can't wait to see the gorgeous jacket you create!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Te leo feliz, muy feliz entre todas ésas telas Tilda, feliz entre tesoros con los que soñar. Tu cabeza va a estar muy ocupada.
    Disfruta mucho con tus nuevas telas y BESICOS.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, the excitement of anticipation while awaiting the arrival of your Tildas. Next....sadly, the delay, but you passed that disappointment with a nice drive in the country, with coffee and cake as a sweetener. Then at last, the big day arrives and your quest is sucessful. So many gorgeous fabrics, so many possibilities, take your time and savoury their luciousness while you prepare a few hexies.
    I'm

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those pretty fabrics are enough to wash any winter blues away. I’m glad the delay was only a short one. Can you hibernate for the winter surrounded by those luscious Tildas?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think “sumptuousness” is the perfect word to describe all those luscious fabrics, Kim! Oh my, such beautiful patterns. I’ll bet your wind is a whirl thinking up all kinds of ways to use them. Happy planning and stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I could just feel your excitement of going to the quilt shop to purchase your lovely fabrics. You did well, my dear. Looking forward to seeing this pretties into future projects. Happy quilting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a lovely tale you tell and oh what a saint your Pete is! Those fabrics are just stunning and I love all your photographs. I too have a coat in my head - well a sort of warm fleece lined jacket, its been there for a while as I search for the perfect pattern. Stay warm and cosy and enjoy your fabrics. xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, so much gorgeous, Kim! Big sigh. And a man who will get up early on a chilly morning to go fabric shopping! A keeper.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, such glorious fabrics! They are almost too pretty to cut but I know they must be as you create your masterpieces. This should certainly distract you from Old Man Winter. Enjoy! Zenda

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a lovely story about your 'Chic Escape'. The word is that distance makes the heart fonder...it was meant to be that the fabrics were delayed...could your anticipation be ever greater? A special phone call from Sarah - she knows you well, she does! They are lovely though I might love the feel of the fabrics even more than the designs :(. I must be a bit crazed. The vases are my favorites and even though pink is my favorite color, the blue vase one was totally yummy. Enjoy the fabrics as you choose what to do with them. I can hardly wait to see all the articles you decide to use them with. of course, the patchwork jacket will be spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think you should get at least half off all those fabrics for these glorious, explosions of color photos! Stunning, and I so want the blue chinoiserie pots fabric...for SOMETHING, despite the fact I don't quilt. Always enamored of your process. Sandi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't those blue chinoserie pots stunning??!! As for all the fabrics, I must admit when I saw all the bolts in unison, I thought what a gorgeous photo shoot they'd make. =) So glad you agree, Sandi. =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  27. I think you enjoy arranging the photo shoots as much as you do creating glorious projects from all these pretties. The only local shop that carried Tilda has closed, so online is the only option. I so much enjoy petting the fabric before buying. Sorry old man winter has struck with a vengeance. We've been enjoying a few days of moderate temperatures and sunny skies which has allowed me to finally get some of the annuals planted. Much needed rain is expected tomorrow, so I'll turn to getting ready for a quilt retreat this weekend.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  28. Oh my I can see why you were so excited for this release, those are gorgeous fabrics. I had to laugh when you confessed your hubby wasn't quite as excited as you were to go. My hubby is the same, he is so good about going with me to the shows and stores to look for goodies.
    Isn't it funny how the times we have things on our minds we don't notice the cold but when the said thing is done we have lost all that and can notice things we didn't notice before. I hate when the wind is so bad you wonder if the roof will stay on. But you have plenty of fabric there to keep you busy and your mind off of old man winter this season :). look forward to what you do with it all! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Kim, what a lovely lovely post! I could sit here another hour looking at your pictures and reading your story. What a beautiful book this would make. The fabrics you brought home are gorgeous. My husband would faint away if I came home with that much fabric. :) On the rare ocassion that he goes shopping with me...mostly to Walmart, while I look at the fabrics he wanders around in the sporting goods dept. I get excited over two yards of new faabric. You have a wonderful husband. You have a beautiful home and a beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wonderful fabrics!!! I rise your photos to admire them closer and they are magnificent. But the best is wondering what you will do with them because you are a great artist. Your lovely husband is a blessing. I feel the same way with mine and I am grateful for this.God is good. Have a lovely week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maristella, you and I are blessed to have husbands, such as ours, aren't we? I too, am wondering as to what pretties I will fashion using my gorgeous fabrics. =) Thank you for the gift of your beautiful words. Hoping you are enjoying a pleasant week. Kim Xx

      Delete
  31. I can feel your excitement all the way here! Have fun :)

    -Soma

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful post Kim, I can feel your excitement over here in the chilly Bellarine. So many beautiful fabrics, I can't wait to see what you do with them. Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such beautiful fabrics, Kim! I can see why you were so excited to get first dibs on them. I can't wait to see what you create with all these beauties. Your quilted coat sounds like a lovely idea. How sweet of your Pete to indulge your cravings, too! Congratulations on your anniversary! Hope your winter proves to be quick and mild. We can't seem to get out of this cold, rainy rut here. Of course, that is what life near Seattle is like! Sounds like you are cozy and warm and have lots of inspiration to keep you busy until spring. Hugs xo K

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Kim oh wow I agree these are gorgeous fabrics ,I can’t wait to see how you use them . Stunning pics as usual ,take care 💕🤍💕

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG! Looks like, and sounds like you had quite a haul. Lots of prints, lots of colors, how will you decide what to work on first with so many beautiful choses. Sorry about old man winter in your neck of the woods. We of course are moving into summer, my favorite season. I really dislike winter, everything about it more and more with each passing year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather loathe Old Man Winter with every passing year, too, Sandy. Summer is my favourite season also. I have a few thoughts as to the pretties I will fashion from these fabrics. But, for the moment, I will just keep petting them. =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  36. Kim - you described the scenes so well, I could imagine I was there when Pete said "no", and when smiled and kept his eyes on the road. Ha! I might have had the same experience a time or two with my fella! They are lovely fabrics, and I can see why you are besotted with them! Can't wait to see what you do with them!

    ReplyDelete
  37. This post should have come with a warning label. Definitely have need of a cloth to mop up the drool over those beyond-gorgeous fabrics!! They are stunning and I can only imagine the pretties you will fashion with them. Your Pete is a gem because I don't know too many husbands who would not only drive their wives to the fabric shop but also be happy with the support role in your joy. My Resident Chef happily will take me but he would definitely be worried about the bank balance if I came home with that much fabric. Actually....he did take me this week and I was SUCH a good girl and only bought what I actually went to get. I managed not to turn my eyes towards the area with the prettier wishful thinking lure.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Those beautiful fabrics make you feel so happy! So many lovely photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  39. Oh my goodness, this post is so full of "Sumptuousness"! Your Pete is a wonderfully patient man to not only get up early once to go fabric shopping but twice! You are amazing with your photography, the fabrics look so beautiful! Each photo is more gorgeous than the first! Thanks for sharing all that beauty with us and looking forward to seeing all the pretties you make from those meters of fabric! xx

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, those vases!!! So, so beautiful! What dreamy fabrics!!!

    ReplyDelete