Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A small country wedding

A little over three months ago, a  friend of mine asked my husband if he could spruce up her garden in readiness for her wedding. My friend lives in the most wonderful 100 year school house which she and her husband-to-be, have recently turned into a bed & breakfast. It is the most beautiful building. The house was a little country school up to about 5 years ago. There is a wonderful tree sculpture, which a fellow chain-sawed from a tree that was dying, pertaining to all things school and school children.


There are children painting, catching a ball, playing netball, reading a book, a pair of scissors, a biro and a pencil. This work of art really is terribly clever. There are sculptures such as these interspersed around Tasmania relating to different facets of Australian history e.g. the first world war, convict life in Tasmania etc. They are all so interesting to look at and terribly intricate considering they are hewn with a chain saw.







But....back to the garden wedding.  Even in Tassie creating a garden that looks as if it is established, within three months, can be a tall order. Even though there are some lovely standard Iceberg roses, there wasn't really a garden to speak about except a gazillion of weeds. The garden looks a treat in Spring as there are thousands of beautiful Spring bulbs kissing the warm sunshine, but in Summer/Autumn there isn't really anything substantial suitable for a wedding. There are beautiful Iceberg roses of course against a backdrop of gorgeous old trees; but some colour and a profusion of flowers was needed to make a  happy statement for the big day.

How to make a beautiful garden which would flower profusely in time for the big day?? AND....how to plant a beautiful garden with next to no money!! My husband decided to plant hundreds of Cosmos and Zinnia seeds for instant colour. Oh, and he decided to build a lovely garden arch out of some old wood that he has collected over the years, in the middle of the pathway, where the bride and groom would exchange their vows. He thought an arch in the middle of the pathway would give the house and garden some symmetry.


So he weeded and weeded laboriously, dug garden beds and set about to prepare the soil for the planting of the seeds and abbra cadabra......the cosmos and zinnias grew and grew to what is now a lovely garden.






Whilst my friend and my husband were chatting about gardens, I of course innocently enquired as to what Sarah had in mind for the wedding celebration. Sarah replied she had no idea as to what she wanted and had no idea how to 'tart up' a shed fit for a beautiful wedding celebration.

You know what followed.....don't you. Yes indeedy, I casually asked "would you like some help to transform your shed into a wedding wonderland??" Of course, Sarah agreed and of course I said "consider it done"!!

So.........with very little budget and with a bountiful of props from my house and a little bit of imagination, the transformation began which culminated in a lovely garden wedding enjoyed by all who attended this past weekend.

Although I had my props, Sarah and I visited the local tip to see if we could unearth some treasures. I wanted oodles of glass jars, both for candles (there is no electricity in the shed) and to hold bounteous bouquets of floralicious delight. We came across some interesting, rusted wire, bed frames and snapped them up. Though I had no idea what I would do with them.....something in the dark and rusty corridors of my brainpan resonated with them. So home they came with us. A plan was beginning to formulate regarding these......a great prop for holding baby food glass jars with candles flickering within. They really did look a picture. You can have a lookity look later on.

But......for the magical wedding to take place, one had to gather all the 'pretties' from my home and load the van to set off for the magical transformation.



It's just as well I have a lot of pretty props lying around my home, isn't it? My husband has often joked perhaps we should open a "props-for-hire" business!!

Mmmm......I must admit the shed, though new and clean, was going to require a swoosh of a magic wand. With one or two ideas swooshing around my rather fuzzy mind I began to play. We borrowed the trestle tables from a local school......oh and chairs as well.






Styling for me, mostly is a lot of fun. Indeed it is really like play. Though I must admit it is an exhaustive process. I always seem to turn my home upside down, carting all the pretties to the venue. It involves hour after hour of climbing up and down ladders, solving logistical problems, in order to create an atmosphere, filled with an ambience worthy of a magical celebration.

On this occasion I had lovely helpers to translate what was in my head, into a reality.


I was so thankful for my willing band of helpers, they were invaluable!!



A little outside alcove off the kitchen received the decorating touch as well. I thought it would be rather lovely if we hung oodles of glass jars filled with a flower or two, together with some rice paper lanterns. Such a simple idea but oh so effective! I am so thankful there was the odd fellow or two to do this job as the ceiling was quite high. My days of scaling 14ft ladders, hour after hour, are well and truly over.



















It was so pretty walking down the path, with the colourful flowers smiling at the guests with a glimpse of the pretty lanterns and the jars of flowers hanging from the kitchen alcove. It was truly beautiful. Oh.....and I might add, there was not any money for flowers. All the flowers at the wedding came from my garden. Yes indeedy, it is rather fortuitous my home is surrounded by many a pretty flower! My garden certainly saves a motza in florists' bills.

With the outside looking a treat, it was time for the beautifying of the shed.

We hung mirrors to reflect the lights from the many candles that would cast a lovely luminosity at nightfall.


A lovely reflection of the garden in one of the mirrors.



I hung a 'few' candelabras from the ceiling, along with lanterns and other paper pretties.




I festooned metre after metre of soft flowing voile around the perimeter, fastening it at intervals with some trailing ribbon flowers that I fashioned. I draped some pretty lace curtains at each corner, being the backdrop for flower carts; one holding big beautiful vases of flowers and candelabras, and the other showing off the beautiful wedding cake.


















Remember those rusty, old bed springs I gushed about earlier.....well here they are....the receptacle of oodles of flickering candles in tiny glass jars.







But it was at night the rusty, old, mattress springs were the stars of the party!




Indeed, it was as nightfall enveloped the sky, the shed took on a lovely, incandescent glow.


It was a lovely garden wedding. It was a lovely wedding celebration. The bride and her groom glowed with happiness. Their love and happiness touched all who looked on.




As for my husband and me, it was a delight, in our own small way, to add a little wedding magic to what was the most beautiful of days.

37 comments:

  1. I don't think it can be said that you did it in a 'small way'!! It all looked so lovely and I'm sure the bride and groom were absolutely thrilled. All best wish to them for a long and happy life together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh Kim I think I held my breath through your entire blog post ... especially after that title. It is just amazing how you have transformed that shed. Thank goodness you have lots of props at home. I can just imagine the workload though - & then it all has to be taken down again at the end. I;ll bet the bride was just so chuffed with what you achieved - those bedsprings WOW!!! Isnt it amazing what a good ol' rummage at the dump can turn up. And as for your husbands transformation on the garden - gosh I am SO envious of you having a man who can plant flowers. I wondered ..... if I could perhaps borrow him ..... for about a year !!!!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so magical and beautiful. The garden looks so pretty. You and Your Hubby did a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! where do I start! The sculptures are just amazing, the tree is never dead now it's been transformed into art, just wonderful! and your hubby's flower garden is stunning with it's arch and beautiful cosmos, such a lovely flower. and oh my... YOU transformed the whole thing in a big way, love all the things you found to give it a special touch. the mattress springs are amazing and the mirror reflection of the garden I just love. Love it all!! :) well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How totally and amazingly wonderful it all looked! No wonder you haven't been blogging for a bit - you have been just a touch busy creating this loveliness! The bride and groom must have been so happy. And that sculpture is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You worked so hard to transform the shed. What a lucky bride to have you for her friend. The mattress springs with the lights is stunning. So many brilliant ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous and stunning transformation of an empty space. It was no doubt exhausting but I can tell you loved doing it. Brilliant ideas for looking again at previously discharged items thought to be passed being useful. Truly inspiring post. Philippa x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Kim and Pete for all your help we are so blessed. You did the most remarkable job. You will never know how special you made our day. Big loves x x x Sarah and jason

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cant wait till the spring fair

      Delete
    2. It was a delight to add a li'l sparkle and magic to your lovely day, Sarah and Jason. Now about that spring fair, Sarah.....should be fun!!

      Delete
  9. You have such an eye for decoration - there is a definitely a career for you here:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the photos and write up , those old wire bed frames came up great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen. Yes, those rusty old bed springs came up a treat, didn't they!

      Delete
  11. You did such an amazing job. I was stunned at the transformation that was achieved. Congratulations on a truly sensational result. It was stunning in its simplicity, but stunning in its effect. Best wishes, from a very proud father of the bride.Steve and Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another Amazing post from one of my favorite bloggers!!!!! Your husbands gardening prowess and your "tarting up" abilities made for a wonderful day for your friend.... above and beyond, but no doubt loved and appreciated. I imagine it will be a day they never forget. I look forward to your posts so much and am NEVER DISAPPOINTED.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kim what an amazing story. Such a beautiful wedding. You created so much sparkle and magic. My favorite picture is the mirror reflecting the garden. Your husband did great on the garden; so many flowers. Such a wonderful memory for the wedding couple. It was all so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgousness! You have the magic touch. I am always amazed when an artist such as yourself can see an old rusty whatnot and turn it into something beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing job! I am stunned, you and your husband worked miracles!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What you can't do, Kim. An absolutely stunning makeover! And I love the garden, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Amazing post-story!
    Fantasic -decorations, flowers, beautiful day, everything - perfect!!
    Hugs.:*

    ReplyDelete
  18. OMG!!!!!!! You guys are amazing!!!!! The way you've put all those things together has worked and has an unbelievable charm to it. What a stunning job your hubby did with the garden and that tree!!!! Hey, no nagging him for a while. lol. Great job and thanks for sharing those awesome pics with us.
    Cheers, Anita.

    ReplyDelete
  19. SO many beautiful, personal touches! I feel lucky your shared them all with us! I love how it all just came to life at dusk.!!! Congrats to the newly weds!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Now that I have picked my jaw up off the floor, I can comment. How wonderful of you to transform that space. That bed spring! I shall forever be on the lookout now. I will warn my hubby in advance. You are the perfect example of someone else's trash being someone's treasure. Well done my friend. Wish you were closer. Did I mention we have a wedding this Saturday???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm.....I seem to recall you mentioning once or twice, your son and his lovely bride's wedding this Saturday!! ;) Have the most wonderful day, lovely Carla!!

      Delete
  21. Crikey Woman! In your own small way? I think not! I think they will be grateful to you both for the rest of their lives every time they reflect on their wedding day. You both did amazing jobs transforming the shed and the gardens. I certainly enjoyed the post. I would love to see their B&B. Any chance you can accommodate us with a photo tour?
    Blessings to you and yours!
    ~Heather Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh wow that is amazing you and your hubby did a wonderful job, your friend is so lucky to have you for a friend, everything looks perfect. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh, my my my, you DO have a touch with that magic wand! What an enchanting site and delightful labor of love! Thank you so much for visiting my blog recently. I got a real chuckle from your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You and your husband really are amazing. You made a magical transformation of the garden and shed - a perfect wedding setting. The chainsaw sculptures are incredible too :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh Miss Kim...what a wonderland of beautiful delight! No wonder you were out of service for a week. Congrats on a job well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a lovely wedding and what wonderful miracles you did there!Great!Congrats!AriadnefromGreece!

    ReplyDelete
  27. First of all, what a wonderful tree sculpture! And secondly, you and your husband are AMAZING!!! I love the garden. I have attempted to grow Cosmos in my current garden a couple of times and have failed dismally each time (probably due to my 'scatter the seeds and do nothing else' approach). I am going to have to try again, after I google the best time for growing cosmos and zinnias. Your shed transformation is something that should be shared with the world! You are so creative - I love every single idea! What a wonderful atmosphere you have created. I bet the wedding photos were simply stunning; photos are always beautiful when everyone is feeling the magic around them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your knack for creating is unending. Your taste impeccable. What a fun challenge for you, but what an Amazing Memory you gave them all. Kudos to you, your husband, and all your helpers!

    It was simply beautiful, I thought.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  29. (I'm playing catch-up with everyone) Hello Liz, I am completely stunned by the transformation you created in the wedding building!! From utility barn to gorgeous wedding finery ... you really should hire yourself out with all your amazing ideas and props! I'm also in awe of what your husband accomplished with the garden in three short months! What an impact those beautiful cosmos made in the border. Wow! Your friends must have fainted when they realized the magic you both created for them! Well done :D
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dear Kim,

    What a wonderful friend you are to create this lovely wedding setting. You transformed that shed into a beautiful banquet hall. Your husband and you are a great team. His garden arch and flower beds are a spectacular work of love.

    ♥Hope

    ReplyDelete
  31. This is so lovely! Like a fairy land....it is amazing how you created it all - both your hubby's beautiful gardens and your decorating and styling skills worked together to make a perfect setting! Such a treasured gift for a special day! xx K

    ReplyDelete
  32. You take the impractical and make it into practical. What a glorious fairyland - wedding or not. You both do the most splendid of tarting up. The old rusty bed springs took on a whole new life. The chain saw scupture is wonderful. Isn't it incredible that all the details can be part of chain saw art?

    ReplyDelete