Monday, April 2, 2018

Will I......or Won't I............

.......wear my jacket that I have tarted up recently?? Me thinks I just might, though I fear a good few of the locals around here might well think...."what is she thinking"!! As Elizabeth Bennett of Pride and Prejudice fame once said "what do we live for, but to make sport for our neighbours"! AND....believe you me, me and my 'interesting' garments of choice do indeed give plenty of fodder for our neighbours!!  Come to think of it, me thinks they have not come across anyone quite like me before. How deliciously entertaining!!

This jacket is the before photo of my newly tarted up lovely. Oh dear........nice but rather plebeian.


 AND.....may I say a perfectly respectable and acceptable kinda jacket just the way it is. BUT.....I am me, a gal whom more often than not feels the need to breathe new life into a garment of clothing, by the adding of this and a whole lot of that.

Remember this............

And this.............


And then there was this..........


Needless to say, I love tarting up the odd jacket or two.

But I digress.....again! A little over a year ago I chatted about tarting up my op shop find with needlepoints and other such pretties. With Autumn beginning to cool things down here at the bottom of the world,  now is most definitely the time to add to the "Kim Sharman's Wardrobe of Interesting Tarted up Wearable Pretties and Curiosities". I thought I might as well throw caution to those rather chilly autumnal winds and refashion another article of clothing.

Having been a fan of Mandy Patullo's inspired textile collages for a while now, when I saw a book written by her I snapped it up. With a slew of inspirational pretties within the cover of this book, I thought I may as well begin playing with some ideas of my own.

Yet again, I gathered together a delicious jumble of needlepoints, ribbons, laces and other such pretties, probably too many pretties if truth be told. As you know, when undertaking this form of garment transformation I always garner a plethora of pretties. There is no way on God's sweet earth, that even I would add all these bits and bobs to an item of clothing. I just love to corral them all together as I am really just playing. I just love to gaze upon all these pretties for the trillionth time before I put them all away......again.

For the cogs in my brainpan to kick into gear, and for me to decide what could work, I find it easier to have a profusion of pretties on hand to inspire me. I might say at this juncture, when I do this form of design and stitching and indeed play with my pretties, it always looks as if I have landed smack in the middle of a bomb site. My work space always has the look of a 'pretties' bomb having been detonated. Alas, this cannot be helped. Thus, I spend an exhaustible amount of time cleaning up.

Remember all those glorious needlepoints I happened upon at my new favourite bric-a-brac shop......well I returned and purchased yet more.....just a few.





I started to play and after snippety-snipping needlepoints, I stitched these to the lapels and pockets, adding a sweet birdie resting amongst some pretty flowers. I carefully  snipped this embroidery from a cushion piece.



I rather love this English scene; a sweet little cottage surrounded by an even sweeter garden, with the church spire in the background towering to the heavens.



I stitched a butterfly to the lapel; also snipped from the cushion piece.

I decided the bottom pockets might sing a little more with a flap fashioned from some lovely vintage trim that I acquired a long, long time ago.



I played with an assortment of flowers and leaves down one side of the jacket, tucking them a little under the right lapel, but decided this was overkill.......just a tad.


In this instance I much prefer the jacket to be absent of floralicious delight. Really?? Yes really!! After all, I cannot cause too much of an overload of scuttlebutt for the neighbours! I don't want to be that sporting!! =)

I also thought about embroidering a vine of flowers and leaves trailing down the right front, but again, decided against it. I decided just the lapels and the pockets adorned with needle points would be the way to go. I have a few more jackets waiting in the wings for me to work 'miracles' on......perhaps a spot of hand embroidery will be just the thing for these.

But then some epaulettes of needlepoint would look mighty fine.....oh and a pretty button or two. I cut two snippets of a needlepoint  and stitched them onto the shoulders. These were such a pain to do as I had to unpick the lining and the shoulder seams. The shoulder pads also had to be worked on. I have no idea who constructed this jacket, but let's just say the person's tailoring skills were a little questionable. I discovered this jacket was made so that it was near high impossible to alter. The altering of this jacket only reinforced the notion that earning a quid in an alterations' place of business would be the last thing I would want to do. I am that gal whom when she spots someone walking up my path with an article of clothing in hand to ask me if I would alter and deconstruct it, I want to find some hidey hole and pretend I am not home.  I know, terribly uncharitable and un-neighbourly of me but I simple HATE altering garments from the outside in. It always takes a preposterous amount of time and effort. Me thinks I might think twice next time if I want to put these ornamental pieces on the shoulder again!


Just to give my pretty the finishing touch, I stitched upholstery fringing to the cuffs.....as you do.

Will I.......or won't I.....be seen out and about in this jacket dripping with pretty needlepoints?? Me thinks, the answer would most definitely be a YES!


I do rather like this tarted up jacket!! It will be perfect for stepping out this Autumn season, adding a little bit of interest to this far rural outpost. There will be some who consider needlepoints should only be seen in a pretty frame hanging on a wall or perhaps as the star of a cushion......but I rather think adorning an article of clothing with needlepoints is a most excellent idea.




I am going to be absent from blogworld for a little while as me and my good husband are off for an overseas holiday in San Fransisco. "San Fransisco???"....I hear you say. Yep.....that's right. For my 60th birthday present, my daughter and son-in-law (who live in San Fransisco), bought return air tickets for the both of us to pop over (3 air flights, 18 plus hours of flying) and stay with them for a while!!!!!! I know, how positively exciting. I am so delighted, I haven't quite come down from those arty farty, white cotton-candy, needlepointed clouds.

So........perhaps the next time we 'chat', I might just have a happy snap of li'l ol' me swinging from the rails of a cable car. Or....perhaps a happy snap of moi posing in front one of those architectural beauties, the painted ladies could be a goer. Gotta, gotta have a bo-peep at those ladies! Wherever our little holiday adventure leads us, my daughter tells me San Fransisco is the shangri-la for free spirits and those whom are a little offbeat; she says I should fit right in. Whatever does she mean!! In any case, whilst out and about in 'The City  By the Bay', I will be sure to wear some flowers in my hair. =)

If perchance you leave a lovely comment and I don't reply to thank you, please forgive me....I will reply when I return. Each and every one of you always delight my day.

Until the next time............


Linking up this week to the lovely Jann's Share Your Cup linky party.

48 comments:

  1. Wow! Super transformation! Happy Easter!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Mia. Happy Easter to you. Kim Xx

      Delete
  2. Your transformed jacket is just divine dear Kim. I love the pink colander that I spy holding all your wool threads! I love the way you have embellished it using up some of your needlepoints. Me thinks you will fit right in in San Fran. Have a most wonderful trip Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Original, interesting and beautiful refashioned jacket ! Sometime we have to be bold and dare wearing what we like whatever "people" might think !
    I wish you a lovely trip to the USA ! A Happy Birthday ! Enjoy a max !
    À bientôt !
    Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your embellishments on this jacket and the new style fits your personality perfectly! How exciting to be coming over to our side! I don't think you will be needing your pretty jacket in CA but if you came out east on the other side of the country, you could wear it everyday! I have never been to San Francisco, or anywhere west of Ohio, so I am looking forward to read about what you think of our west coast. I think your daughter is right....you will fit right in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes!! Yes!!! Wear your fabulous jacket. You WILL fit right in with the quirky in San Fran. I can't wait to see posts of places you saw and your thoughts on the town and it's people. Lots of transplants there!
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful transformation of you boring jacket into a piece of Kim Sharman art!! I just love the needlepoint lapels, pockets and the dear, sweet (sigh) cottage/church scene breast pocket. The fringe on the pockets looks perfect.
    I hope you and your hubby will have the most marvelous time in San Francisco, Kim. I look forward to hearing about your adventures of your most generous gift from your daughter and son-in-law. Blessings as you travel! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another gorgeous tarted up jacket to add to your wardrobe - perfect. Enjoy your holiday. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely hope YOU WILL! It would be so sad to leave this beautiful creation unworn. You are a very talented fashion designer, and I agree with you concerning needlepoints: why should they be confined to a frame or cushion? They add so much to a garment that lacks a little originality and personality. I think you have found the right balance for this jacket, nice touches of colour that go well together and with the pattern of the jacket, symmetry on the whole with a pinch of asymmetry on the top pocket. Perfect! And if it gives some conversation issue to the neighbourhood, it's all right! It will keep them busy the time you come back from San Francisco and they won't forget you :)) I wish you a wonderful stay in California and I am sure it will be a very inspiring trip for new creations of yours! Hugs! Sandrine

    ReplyDelete
  9. You should definitely wear it and stun your neighbours! I got excited the minute I realized what this post is going to be about and was thoroughly swept off by the wondrous magic you played onto this jacket! You transformed it in a unique way and I love every single piece you used - couldn't pick a favourite - they are all stunners!
    Have a fantastic trip to SF Kim and make tons of memories with your loved ones! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh yes, you should wear the jacket! If I didn't know better, I would think I was reading my daughter's blog. She had to tell me the meaning of "altered couture". :) Just about everything she wears has been redone with lace and ruffles and other pretty things. She says, "I think women should wear what the like", and "life is too short to wear ugly clothes". and now she is into "ephemera". Your jacket is beautiful, and I really like the last one in the top pictures...the double breasted. Have a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have golden hands Kim, love how you used the needlepoints.
    Happy Easter and a very nice vacation in San Fransisco! ♥♥♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, lovely Loes! Hope you had a happy Easter; thank you for your sweet greeting. Me thinks I am going to have the best time in San Fransisco. =) Kim Xx

      Delete
  12. Kim, I am in awe of your tarted creation. I absolutely adore it and I do hope you wear it. I would wear in a flash! I am outside the norm of fashion and prefer to wear pretty things from April Cornell - sometimes a lovely jumper over a worn t-shirt. Have a wonderful time in San Fransisco. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and hear that it has changed quite a bit. Enjoy every moment and make sure to pop over to Alcatraz while your at it! xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your creations are always so cool! Have a fantastic break:-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your jacket - very unique and so pretty. So very happy about your upcoming trip and can't wait for you to share photos. I wish you a very happy birthday xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. The jacket looks divine. With love Janice have a wonderful trip to San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Fantastic adornments to that jacket, Kim. The end result is more subtle than I expected but very stylish. I hope you and Mr Kim have a wonderful holiday. I will look out for your adventures :) x

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderful jacket Kim, wish I could buy something like this. Hope you have a wonderful holiday. best wishes kay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Kay. I will do my darndest to have the best holiday in San Fran. Kim Xx

      Delete
  18. Another wearable work-of-art! I love how you added the needlepoint pieces to the lapels! Yes, you should definitely wear this jacket out and about, sweet Lady! I’m wishing you a wonderful trip to San Francisco to visit you family! Safe travels, dear Kim!! Zenda

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my, if you aren't the cutest tart I know! :) You have such a way with textiles. I think you could sell such a concoction for big bucks my friend. It really is so unique and YES, you must wear it! Have fun in San Fran. You have got to see those painted ladies. It's such a magical place, although I would love it even more if it wasn't always a bit chilly. Hmmm, I'm thinking you might need to pack that new jacket.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh....if only I lived in the USofA I could flog my pretties and retire in the style I could become accustomed to. =) Yes, my daughter has told me that San Fran is as chilly as Tassie. If only I had room to pack my new jacket. Thank you for your fun comments, lovely Jann. It is always a delight to enjoy a visit from you. Kim Xx

      Delete
  20. Kim you are the cutest! Your posts are fun to read. I think you'll be the star of San Francisco. I say you should definitely wear your jacket. You can't do all that work and not wear it. Wear it, and have fun doing it. :)
    xx Beca

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh how I woould love to see you wearing your jacket - I love it! Hope you have a wonderful vacation in San Fran! Wear it-wear it. It is my first visit here today - but I shal definately return my new creative friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Carrie. It is a delight to have you visit. I have been wearing my tarted up pretty a lot these past weeks. I must say I am loving my jacket. So happy you visited my little place....thank you! Kim Xx

      Delete
  22. I am so excited for you to go on your trip to SF. It's a wonderful place to see and you will enjoy yourself to pieces. I'll be waiting patiently to hear all the stories. Love your newly tarted up jacket. The needlepoint lapels were lovely as was the church/bird vignette. I, too, hate the whole idea of alterations. I do HAVE to shorten most of my clothes and I'll do some minor work for loved ones but...the rest is a nightmare! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm betting you'll wear that jacket a lot! And I hear you about altering clothes as I sit here looking at two of the jean jackets I myself made and now have to alter because my friend had the audacity to lose weight!! Have a wonderful trip - enjoy your family time!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my goodness Kim, looking at all those lovely items you had to play with to add to your jacket looks just lovely! Wow a one of a kind awesome creation you came up with and such a great idea to use the embroidery pieces, and you are such an expert at all the details!!
    How exciting to be going on a trip to see your kids, that sounds like a long trip but I bet it will be fun, can't wait to see your post when you get back, have a fun and very safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
  25. fabulous, gorgeous...who wants to blend in with the crowd?? not you, and no worries, you won't. i love it...so unique, so one of a kind, just like you!!

    have a wonderful trip, i will miss you but i am so glad you are getting away!! have fun!!

    ps...i got a little distracted in your sewing room, that cabinet...and those suitcases, you are driving me crazy!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Well your jacket is certainly unique Kim. I love the needlepoint pieces. I'm not sure I would be so daring,but I do so admire your artistic talents.
    I too love to tart up pieces but so far only a floral piece on black have I been game to attempt. You certainly inspire me to be a little more daring .
    What a wonderful birthday present you received. Hope you have a wonderful time. I'm sure you will
    Xx jeanette ann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the lovely stitching you do, Jeanette, me thinks now is the time to create your own "tarted up" lovely. I had the most fabulous trip....EVER! Can't wait to share it with you all. Hope you are having a beautiful day, lovely Jeanette. Xx

      Delete
  27. I love the tarted up jacket, Kim! And your pile of craft supplies just makes me fingers tingle. Enjoy your holiday.
    Amalia
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I found you through another super talented woman named Rhonda Dort. I was smiling all through your blog. I love your jacket. Pretty things are to wear. I like that you like to have your pretties out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Robbie, how lovely to have you visit my little place. A beautiful warm welcome to you! Thank you so much for your lovely comments. Kim Xx

      Delete
  29. Oh how much I LOVE your jacket posts!!! But I to have to admit I read them backwards!! In other words I can NEVER wait for the final reveal. Soooo I scroll to the reveal then sit with a cup a tea and return to the beginning and enjoy reading about your creative process. LOVE LOVE this jacket and your ingenious ideas with the needlework.

    ReplyDelete
  30. There are some people out there in the world that can grab a whole heap of different bits and pieces and turn them into something pretty amazing......I am not one of those people!!! lol I love all the different textiles you've mixed together and the courage to try it. I'm one of those people that need a pattern for most things when it comes to mix and match.

    ReplyDelete
  31. What can I say? A visit here is always a feast for the eyes! Love all the different textiles there. You have such a creative eye! Have a blessed day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I'm so glad you redid another jacket, and this one is amazing!! Love the needlepoint pockets and lapels. You've done it again Kim! My only question is ... what's on the back?! ha ha!

    Have a wonderful visit with your daughter & SIL! How exciting ;)
    Wendy xox

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just love your Bohemian spirit, Kim! Your coat is wonderful and makes my Hippie heart happy. Back in the day I used to embroider everything I owned, and I still love anything with beautiful stitching. San Francisco is the perfect place to be avant-garde! I hope you have a wonderful time! xx Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, lovely Karen. I am loving wearing my Hippie inspired, tarted up lovely. Kim Xx

      Delete
  34. You are amazing! I love your imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I enjoyed seeing your thought process as you decided what to add to the jacket. Have fun on your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  36. You are very clever! And your embroidery treasure chest is out of this world! Lucky person! Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well, in trying to catch up, I am reading backwards and already finished your trip to the US. And yes, I do believe that you WILL (and should) be wearing your jacket out and about. I'd love to be as adventurous as you are!!!!! I love the descriptions and photos of each process, such lovely choices and so many pretties. I am always amazed at how many things you pull out out to sort through when beginning a project. One of my least favorite things is to dig through things and then have to put them away, but you do get the best results. I love the little bird and butterfly and the needlepoints - they are perfect for your jacket. Enjoy the compliments I know you will be getting for such a pretty jacket - and yes, you would fit right in with Californians, they do like their eccentricities. Happy weekend my dear - keep up the grand tarting up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Kim, you know I love this jacket! If only I had thought sooner. I picked up a pieced wool jacket made up of all kinds of fabulous plaids and checks. It would have been fun to try and tart just a little, nothing that could compare with you! Alas, I cut it up. I actually bought it for the wool fabric. Much better price than buying wool at the quilt shops. :) Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    jann

    ReplyDelete
  39. Your jackets are gorgeos, wish, I had one of them.
    I very like unique clothing for a good feeling of myself and, of course, for the neighbors and all people in our stuffily small town ;-)

    ReplyDelete